To sign up for your Digital Locker, you need an Aadhaar number and a mobile number linked to that
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on July 1 will launch the digital locker facility that will help citizens digitally store their important documents, such as PAN card, passport, mark sheets and degree certificates.
Here are five things you need to know about Digital Locker or DigiLocker:
1. Digital Locker will provide secure access to government-issued documents. It uses authenticity services provided by Aadhaar.
2. Digital Locker is aimed at eliminating the use of physical documents and enables sharing of verified electronic documents across government agencies.
3. Digital Locker provides a dedicated personal e-storage space to citizens, linked to their Aadhaar numbers.
4. Digital Locker will reduce the administrative overheads of government departments and agencies created due to paper work. It will also make it easy for Indian citizens to receive services by saving time and effort as their documents will now be available anytime, anywhere and can be shared electronically.
5. To sign up for your Digital Locker, you need your Aadhaar number and a mobile number linked to that Aadhaar number. To sign up, visit https://digitallocker.gov.in/