Fitness expert Meenakshi Mohanty tells you how to sculpt your body and impress your date.
The day of love is almost upon us! No matter what your plans are this Valentine’s Day, feeling fit and fab is a must.
So let’s focus on loving yourself and every inch of your body.
There is no better way to remind yourself of how strong and amazing you are than with some total body-toning moves!
Whether you are enjoying an evening with your partner or venturing out solo in search of love, Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion to show off your fit body.
With just a few days to go, it’s time to start ramping up your fitness routine.
Here are some fun body sculpting moves that you can try out:
1. Jump Squats
Jump squats is a great exercise for glutes, lower abs and leg muscles.
Squat jumps and its variations helps shed fat from the lower body, tone your butt and legs and improve strength and balance.
- You can start by standing with your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Inhale as you sit back into a squat, with your thighs slightly higher than your knees.
- Then, exhale and explode into the air with as much power as you can. Ensure your body is straight while you're in the air, with your hands above your head.
- Land gently with your legs slightly bent into the squat position.
2. Bicycle Crunches
This is an effective abs exercise, which works on the abs and obliques.
If you want to strengthen your core, the air bicycle manoeuvre is a great choice. It's a no-equipment, beginner's level exercise you can do anywhere.
- Begin by lying on your back, placing your hands behind your ears.
- Lift your legs in the air and bend your knees so that your legs form a 90 degree angle.
- Move your legs in a bicycle motion.
- Alternate sides by bending your knee up to meet your left elbow.
3. Dips with Leg Extensions
This is a body-weight exercise that works on your triceps, deltoids and upper abs.
If done correctly, it can also effectively target your arms, core, shoulders, upper body and waist.
The best thing about this exercise is that you are engaging your triceps and abs all at once, while using your own body weight as resistance.
- Begin by sitting on a mat with bent knees and hands placed on the floor next to your hips.
- Lift your hips up and extend a leg out.
- Bend your elbows and lower the body.
- Push back up and repeat, alternating legs.
4. Plank Leg Lifts
It is a full body exercise that targets your core, legs, glutes and shoulders ,while strengthening and toning your whole body.
It also improves your posture and stability and boosts your metabolism.
- Depending on your arm strength, start in a low or high plank with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- While keeping your abs engaged, lift your right leg up as you engage your buns.
- Lower and repeat on the left side.
5. Fire Hydrants
This is a type of body-weight exercise that mainly works the gluteus maximus.
Some variations also work the core. This exercise is also called quadruped hip abductions and can sculpt your glutes, improve back pain and lower the risk for injury if done regularly.
- Start on all fours. Lift your left leg away from your body at a 45-degree angle while keeping your knee at 90 degrees.
- Now stretch your leg as much as you can and bring it back to the starting position.
- Repeat the same with the other leg.
- This exercise helps shape your butt and also works the inner thighs a little.
With these exercises, you are sure to look and feel your best on Cupid’s Day.
However, it is necessary to note that while exercising is a great way to get that toned body, you have to eat healthy and on time. Also drink lots of water and get plenty of rest.
*Please note: This is an advisory. Do consult your doctor first.