Warm and inviting, these rustic recipes kind courtesy Tribal Tadka, are made with wholesome ingredients.
Serve them straight off the stove, with steamed rice, dal and bhakri and you'll have a beautiful meal on the table.
Zavla or Dried Shrimps
- 1 cup dried prawns or shrimps
- 1 lime-sized ball or 2-3 tbsp of tamarind paste
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 8 green chillies, sliced
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- ½ tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- 3-4 tbsp oil for the tadka or seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2-3 tbsp chopped dhania or coriander or cilantro leaves, for the garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or kadhai over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the curry leaves along with the sliced onions, green chillies and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Let it cook over low heat.
- Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder and stir. Add salt and taste.
- Add the dried prawns and stir until it is lightly cooked.
- Add the tamarind paste and give it a good mix.
- Let the prawns cook in the mixture. Place a lid over the pan so that the prawns cook well.
- Take off heat, transfer into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve warm with steamed rice, prawn pulav or bhakri.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 12 small or 6-8 medium brinjals, slit on 2 sides if small, or 4 sides if medium
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- In a grinder jar combine the chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the turmeric powder and garam masala to the paste. Mix well.
- Stuff the brinjal with the paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and cook in an open pan on high heat for 30 minutes or until done. Don't forget to flip the brinjals over, so that it cooks evenly.
Serve warm with bhakri.
The recipes have been shared by Tribal Tadka, a women empowerment project for and by the Warli women of Aarey Forest, northwest Mumbai. Their Instagram handle is @tribaltadka