When it comes to dating, over the years, the complexities and rules have changed for Indian adults.
Couples, young and old, are seeking compatibility, trust and emotional backing from their partners.
When they seek what's missing in their partners from someone else, it is also seen as infidelity.
In order to know more about what Indian adults think about dating and infidelity, Gleeden, an extramarital dating platform, conducted a survey among over 1,500 participants aged between 25 to 50 years.
The survey conducted between September 1 to 10, 2020 had participants from Mumbai, Delhi NCR, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore.
Here are some fascinating insights from the survey:
- 30.5% users from Delhi said they were most likely to cheat on their partners within the first three months of their relationship. The same set of people said they were most unlikely to cheat their partners once their relationship went beyond 5 years.
- 26.1% of users in Hyderabad said they'd cheat on their partners within the first 3 months. Chennai and Bangalore followed with 25% and 23.4% votes.
- After completing 5 years in a relationship, the stats for infidelity dropped by a margin. Only 20% users from Chennai said they'd cheat or have an extra-marital affair, followed by 19.6% users from Hyderabad and 19.1% from Bangalore.
- Mumbai is perhaps the only city with a similar graph all throughout the relationship. 23.4% respondents from Mumbai agreed to commit infidelity within the first 3 months while 24.2% of them confirmed their extramarital affairs even after spending 5 or more years in the relationship.
What is infidelity?
As part of the survey, respondents were also asked about the different factors that they would consider as infidelity when committed by their counterparts apart from physical intercourse.
After physical proximity, virtual sex or intimacy was one of the factors considered under infidelity.
- 44.4% users from Chennai viewed virtual sex or intimacy as the prime reasons for infidelity, followed by Mumbai (43.7%) Delhi (42.5%), Bangalore (40%) and Hyderabad (36.3%).
- 45.7% users in Delhi said that fantasising about someone else while having sex or masturbating concerned them. 45% users from Mumbai , 41.2% from Hyderabad 37.7% from Bangalore and 35.9% from Chennai agreed.
- 43.5% respondents from Delhi felt that flirting with someone else is unfaithful. Users from Bangalore (41.2%), Hyderabad (38.3%) Mumbai and Chennai (36.8%) agreed.
- As many as 74.2% users from Delhi said they regretted the most after committing infidelity. Bangalore (62.4%), Hyderabad (60.9%), Chennai (55%) and Mumbai (54%) also felt the same.