Photographs: Courtesy Rama Muralidharan Rama Muralidharan
Don't feel like indulging in a heavy meal? Try this tasty salad preparation.
The word salad usually reminds us of a bland diet food, meant only for the overly health conscious.
The Italian Panzanella Salad is not only lip smacking but also makes for a complete meal.
It contains all the major food groups -- carbohydrates from bread, vegetables, protein from tofu/paneer or boiled chickpeas or kidney beans.
It is the best option for those who want to enjoy a light dinner.
Here's the recipe:
Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (tomato, cucumber, green capsicum, onions, green or black olives) chopped;
- 1/2 cup tofu or paneer cubes and/or 1/2 cup boiled chickpeas or boiled kidney beans
- 4 slices of lightly toasted (dry) wheat bread cut into small cubes
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- In a big bowl add all the vegetables, tofu/ paneer/ boiled beans.
- Add the bread pieces.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar and black pepper. Whisk it well with a fork until it becomes thick and viscous.
- Add this dressing to the salad mixture and toss them lightly.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve.
Reader invite: Dear reader, do you have an interesting quick-fix breakfast/lunch recipe that you'd like to share with us?
Email us your recipe along with a photograph, if possible, to email@example.com (Subject line: Quick fix recipes) and we'll publish the best ones right here!