Quick fix reader recipe: Brown rice cutlet
We'd asked you, dear readers to share your quick fix dabba recipes with us. Here, reader Rama Muralidharan shares an interesting cutlet recipe.
Presenting Rama Muralidharan's Brown rice cutlet recipe.
"This is a great way to use leftover rice too. Kids enjoy the crispy cutlets. It is packed with nutrition. Great as a diet food too. Enjoy! It's crispy, tasty and healthy and also rich in fibre, full of vegetables and low fat," says Muralidharan.
Here's the recipe:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup soaked/ drained soya granules (you can alternately use grated tofu or paneer)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables finely chopped (carrot, beans, capsicum, cauliflower and corn)
- 1 boiled potato, mashed
- 1 tbsp of roasted chana dal powder
- 1 cup bread crumbs (you can use crushed cornflakes too)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp mixed dhania and jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except bread crumbs and oil.
- Knead them lightly and shape them into round cutlets.
- Gently coat each of these cutlets with bread crumbs. Refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- In a non-stick flat tawa, place the cutlets.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil around it and cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes till it becomes golden brown.
- Flip them over and add more oil and crisp them on the other side too.
- Serve with ketchup or mint chutney.
Reader invite: Dear reader, do you have an interesting quick-fix breakfast/lunch recipe that you'd like to share with us?
Email us your recipe along with a photograph, if possible, to email@example.com (Subject line: Quick fix recipes) and we'll publish the best ones right here!
Image: Brown rice cutlet with mint chutney
Photographs: Courtesy Rama Muralidharan