Ramapriya Suresh whips up a traditional Pongal recipe.
Ven Pongal is a traditional breakfast recipe made from moong dal and rice, tempered with spices and nuts.
- 3/4 cup yellow moong dal or husked split mung lentil
- 1 cup rice
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp peppercorns (whole pepper)
- 1 tbsp peeled and crushed ginger
- 1 tsp jeera
- 8 to 10 cashews, split in half
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- Salt as required
- 5 cups water
- In a pan, dry roast the moong dal for a minute or so and keep aside.
- Add one cup rice to the dal and wash this mixture well.
- Pour the dal, rice and 5 cups water into a pressure cooker.
Boil till the cooker gives off three whistles.
Open up cooker when mixture cools a little.
- In a separate small pan heat the three tbsp ghee on not too high a flame.
Add the peppercorns, jeera, curry leaves, ginger, and cashews.
Fry for up to a minute.
Be careful not to burn the cashews.
- Add this tempering to the cooked rice and dal mixture. Mix well.
Check for salt and consistency. It should have a porridge-like consistency.
Add more water, if required.
- Serve hot and, if you prefer, with sambar, medu vadas and coconut chutney.