After a heavy New Year lunch, relax with a cup of tea and some savoury Chicken and Cheese Croissants.
Prepared in a jiffy, Nadiya Sarguroh's recipe needs just a few ingredients.
Chicken and Cheese Croissants
- 4 puff pastry sheets, available in gourmet grocery stores or pre-order puff pastry dough from a local bakery
- 8 slices chicken salami
- 200 gm cheddar or mozzarella or mixed grated cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Chilly flakes, for the garnish
- Mixed herbs, for the garnish
- Butter for greasing the baking tray
- Butter a baking tray and line with butter paper.
- If using puff pastry dough, roll it out into a rectangle on a floured surface.
Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice into four squares and then cut each diagonally so you have 8 equal triangles.
Pull the two corners at the base of each triangle to stretch it.
- If using puff pastry sheets, skip the above steps.
Slice each of the puff pastry sheets diagonally to get 8 triangles.
Place a rolled slice of the chicken salami on each triangle.
Top it with some of the cheese.
Brush some of the egg, using a pastry brush, on the sides of the puff pastry and gently roll it from the base of each triangle into a croissant.
Repeat the process for the remaining 7 triangles.
- Transfer the croissants to the butter paper-lined baking tray.
Each croissant should be spaced well apart from the next.
Using a brush, generously glaze the croissants with more egg.
Garnish with mixed herbs and chilly flakes.
Bake at 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
Take out of the oven and cool briefly on wire racks.
Serve warm with chai/coffee.
Nadiya Sarguroh lives in Mumbai and publishes the food blog HautePot.