To make the most of your vehicle, use the age-old 20/4/10 personal finance rule, suggests Bindisha Sarang.
- To make the most of your vehicle, use the age-old 20/4/10 personal finance rule.
- 20 stands for the minimum percentage you should pay as down payment. This will decrease the overall cost of your loan.
- 4 means you should finance a car for no more than four years. If you opt for a longer tenor, you will end up paying more in interest cost.
- The sooner you close the loan, the earlier you will become the owner of the car. Until then it will be hypothecated to the lender.
- 10 stands for the maximum percentage of your monthly income you should shell out for your car EMI.
- Ideally not more than 30% to 35% of your take-home salary should go towards servicing all your debts.