Food blogger Swayampurna Mishra tells us how to make Dal Makhani at home.
You can share your favourite recipes too!
Here's the recipe for Dal Makhani
- 3/4 cup whole black lentils
- 2 tbsp kidney beans
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies, cut lengthwise
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamom
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cup fresh tomato puree
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh cream for garnishing
- Soak lentils, kidney beans and chana dal overnight.
- Add two cups water, salt and pressure cook the dals till they are overcooked for about 7 to 8 whistles.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat butter in a deep pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, and onions and saute till onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add dal, salt and approx 2 to 3 tbsp water if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add cream and mix well. Simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and fresh cream.
Photo: Swayampurna Mishra
- Recipe: How to make Gujarat's Surti Undhiyu
- Recipe: How to make Hassleback Potatoes
- How to make Boatman-style Chicken Curry
- How to make Chicken Stew
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.