Strawberry and Coconut Modak
Recipe by Chef Rupesh Khandekar, sous chef, Earthplate, Sahara Star
Serves : 4
For strawberry filling
- 200 gm frozen strawberry
- 50 gm sugar
- Cinnamon stick
- Cook sugar and strawberry and cinnamon stick till sugar is dissolved and the mix has thickened.
- Set aside.
For coconut filling
- 150 gm fresh grated coconut
- 25 gm jaggery
- A pinch of elaichi powder
- 1 tsp khus khus
- A pinch of salt
- Lightly roast the khus khus.
- Add coconut and keep cooking on a very low flame.
- After a minute, add jaggery.
- Allow jaggery to melt and cook till the mix forms into one mass and is dry.
- Sprinkle the elaichi powder and salt. Mix evenly.
For the dough
- 250 gm rice flour
- 200 ml water
- A few drops of red colour
- 2 tbsp oil/ghee
- Boil water and gradually add it to rice flour.
- Mix roughly with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and keep aside till the dough cools down to a stage when you can comfortably handle it
- Add colour and knead to form a soft pliable dough.
- Cover and let it sit for some time.
- Apply a few drops of oil to the modak mould.
- Make a small ball of the dough and press against the insides of the mold to completely cover it
- Stuff the strawberry filling and the coconut filling and press in the modak mould.
- Make another small ball, flatten with hands, cover the base of the modak and seal.
- Steam cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Would you like to share an interesting recipe or cooking video?