This article was first published 21 years ago

Ponting wants better crowd control

Share:

February 19, 2005 20:40 IST

Australia captain Ricky Ponting has demanded a review of security arrangements for the tour of New Zealand after his players were pelted with missiles during Saturday's opening one-day match.

The match in Wellington was stopped several times after Australian players, including pace bowler Glenn McGrath and all rounder Simon Katich, complained to the umpires that they had been hit by plastic bottles thrown from the crowd.

Ponting told a news conference the security arrangements were not up to scratch.

Also Read


Australia win a thriller

Images: Australia vs New Zealand, 1st ODI


"Someone's
going to get hurt," he said. "A full plastic bottle hitting someone in the eye or the back of the head...we don't want that.

"You have to have more security guys around the players on the boundary. They've got to have some sort of power, get the police involved, whatever."

Former Australia skipper Steve Waugh threatened to take his players off the field after similar crowd disturbances in New Zealand five years ago.

Share: