This article was first published 23 years ago

England can fight back in ODI series: Knight

Share:

December 05, 2002 22:22 IST

England view the limited-overs series against Australia and Sri Lanka as a fresh start after demoralising losses in the first three Ashes Tests, one-day opening batsman Nick Knight said on Thursday.

"We know it's going to be tough, but what a great challenge," Knight told reporters in Sydney, where New South Wales host England in a warm-up match on Friday.

"Our guys are down, no doubt about it," added the 33-year-old left-hander who has played 17 Tests and 85 one-day internationals.

"Now they can chance their arms and try to get back into cricket. It gives them the chance to perhaps win some battles and take that into the Test matches," said Knight, who joins the one-day squad after missing out on Test selection.

"We didn't come in here thinking it was going to be easy."

Australia are rated number one in both forms of the game and will defend their World Cup crown in South Africa early next year.

The New South Wales team for Friday's game includes Test captain and 1999 World Cup-winning skipper Steve Waugh, Australia fast bowlers Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee, and batsman Mark Waugh, who ended his long and successful international career just before the Ashes series.

Knight said Lee's raw pace, which felled England tail-ender Alex Tudor in last week's third Test in Perth, would also cause problems in the one-day arena.

"If he gets it wrong, yeah, it gives the batsman the pace to work with. But if he gets it right, it's hard work," Knight said.

England will play Australia A in Sydney on Sunday and a Prime Minister's XI in Canberra on December 10 before facing the Australians in Sydney on December 13 and in Melbourne two days later.

The Test series resumes in Melbourne from December 26-30, with the fifth and final match due to start in Sydney on January 2.

Share: