Union Railway Minister Lalu Yadav presented the Railway Budget for 2008-09 in Parliament on Tuesday.
Following are the highlights:
Review of performance: 2007-08
- Double digit growth in traffic earnings maintained in first nine months.
- Growth in passenger earnings 14%.
- Expected growth in goods earnings 14%.
- Gross Traffic Revenues 16% higher than the previous year and 2% higher than the Budget Estimates.
- Operating Ratio likely to improve from the budgeted 79.6 to 76.3 per cent - best in last four decades.
- Return on Capital - an all time high of 21 per cent.
- Cash Surplus before dividend expected to be a record Rs.25,000 cr.
- Net Revenue expected at Rs. 18,416 cr and surplus after payment of dividend expected at Rs.13,534 cr.
Budget estimates 2008-09
- Freight loading target: 850 million tones.
- Revenues in Freight earnings to be Rs.52,700 cr; Passenger earnings to be Rs.21,681 cr.
- Gross Traffic Receipts to be Rs.81,901 cr - an increase of 12.6 per cent over RE.
- Cash surplus before Dividend to be Rs.24,783 cr after making an ad-hoc provision of nearly Rs.5000 cr for anticipated recommendations of the VI Central Pay Commission.
Annual Plan 2008-09
- The Annual Plan of Rs.37,500 cr is the largest ever Annual Plan so far.
- Thrust areas include enhancement of high density network routes, improvement and expansion of traffic facility and network, construction of flyovers, bypasses and upgradation of goods-sheds.
- New Lines - Rs.1,730 cr, Gauge conversion - Rs.2,489 cr, Electrification - Rs.626 cr, Metropolitan Transport Projects - Rs.650 cr.
- Track renewal - Rs.3,600 cr, Bridges - Rs. 600 cr, Signal & Telecommunication works -Rs.1,520 cr, Road over/under bridges - Rs. 700 cr and manning of unmanned level crossings - Rs.600 cr.
- Passenger amenities - Rs. 852 cr, the highest so far.
- Targets : New Lines - 350 kms, Gauge conversion - 2,150 kms, Doubling - 1000 kms.
- 10 new Garib Raths to be introduced.
- 53 pairs of new trains.
- Extension of trains : 16 pairs.
- Increase in frequency : 11 pairs.
- 300 additional services in Mumbai suburban.
- Special train from Anandpur Sahib and Patna Sahib to Gurudwara Sachkhand Sahib during tercentenary function of Shri Guru Granth Sahib of Gurta Gaddi.
- Special train between Pune and