Investigations have revealed that Mazhar Iqbal, a resident of Mandi Tehsil of Punjab province, was code-named as Abu Al Qama by the Lashkar and Zarar Shah whose actual name was Abdul Wajid, a resident of Sheikhpura district of Punjab province.
Top Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Zarar Shah captured in the crackdown on militants earlier this month in Pakistani-occupied Kashmir, has confessed the group's involvement in the terror attacks in Mumbai, a media report said on Wednesday.
A question that India would like to ask Pakistan is regarding a man by the name Muzzamil Bhat. Pakistan has been silent on the whereabouts of this man, who imparted training to all the 10 terrorists who carried out the 26/11 attacks. Vicky Nanjappa finds out why.
Five Lashkar-e-Tayiba operatives arrested in connection with the Mumbai terror strikes, including its operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, provided transport, accommodation and financial support to the 26/11 attackers, according to an updated supplementary chargesheet filed before a Pakistani anti-terror court.
An Anti Terrorist Court in Rawalpindi has issued notifications to all concerned parties in the November 2008 Mumbai terror attack case in order to start arguments on petitions filed by the seven men accused of lending logistical support to the 26/11 attackers.
The Pakistani anti-terror court, which is conducting the trial of Lashker-e-Tayiba operatives and other suspects accused of involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks, on Saturday adjourned the hearing till September 19. The proceedings are being conducted in-camera and the judge has ordered a media blackout, citing national security concerns as well as the security of the accused and witnesses.
Pakistani investigators have found 'substantial evidence' directly connecting LeT to the November 26, 2008 attacks and proving 'beyond any reasonable doubt' that it planned and financed the terror strikes, the Dawn newspaper said.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Sajid Mir's association with David Coleman Headley will be the primary focus of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Indian security agencies.
A Pakistani anti-terrorism court has remanded three Lashkar-e-Tayiba operatives arrested on suspicion of involvement in the Mumbai attacks to judicial custody for 12 days.
Top Lashker-e-Taiba operative Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and three other suspects in the Mumbai attacks case have been remanded to the custody of Pakistani authorities for two more weeks by an anti-terrorism judge.
Top Lashker-e-Tayiba operatives, including Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah arrested yesterday for their links to the Mumbai attacks by Pakistani authorities, were today remanded by an anti-terrorism judge to police custody for 14 days.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the suspected Mumbai attacks mastermind, and communications expert Zarar Shah are in Pakistan's custody, said sources.The Federal Investigation Agency had lodged an FIR against them in connection with the 26 11 terror strikes. Both Lakhvi, Shah and Hamad Ameen Sadiq, a key terrorist linked to the Mumbai terror attack, are linked to the LeT and have been named in the FIR lodged by the FIA.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba's operations commander and alleged mastermind of the Mumbai terror attacks, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, who was detained last month during Pakistan's crackdown on military groups, is reportedly furious at the Jamaat-ud-Dawah leadership's U-turn to publicly disown him.
The Federal Bureau of Investigations has given to Islamabad evidence amassed by it on the involvement of Pakistan-based elements in the Mumbai strikes, including the messages from Lashkar-e-Tayiba handlers to the terrorists about the arrival of Indian commandos while watching the incident live on TV, a media report said on Sunday.
India had also sent proof and request for issuing a similar warrant against Lashkar commander Zarar Shah and Abu Al Qama, to which the Interpol has said that it was analysing the evidence against them.
A Pakistani anti-terrorism court has extended the police remand of three accused -- in a case related to the terror attack on Mumbai -- by two days and remanded another suspect to judicial custody for a fortnight. Anti-terror court judge Sakhi Mohammad Kahut remanded Lashker-e-Tayiba operatives Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, Zarar Shah and Abu al-Qama to the custody of the Federal Investigation Agency for two more days during a hearing held in the high-security Adiala Jail.
Following the recent crackdown on its leaders after the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, the Lashkar-e-Tayiba has undergone a major overhaul to keep the 'battle' in Kashmir raging. While new members have taken over the top leadership of the terror outfit, the LeT has appointed nearly 900 cadres to continue its offensive in Kashmir. The arrests of top operatives Zarar Shah and Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi in Pakistan had dealt a severe blow to the LeT's operations.
The second dossier is also likely to name Lashkar-e-Tayiba leaders Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah as conspirators of the Mumbai carnage and furnish details as to how they planned the attacks and trained the attackers. The DNA sample of Kasab, which has already been collected by the investigators as part of efforts to prove that he is a Pakistani national, is likely to be given soon, sources said.
The confession of Zarar Shah, a key Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative, about his involvement in the Mumbai terror attack has further strengthened India's case against terror elements operating inside Pakistan territory.The IB has also picked up intercepts of the emails sent out by Shah, which indicate that the LeT was planning an attack on INS Virat. He had planned to launch suicide attacks on the warship by using choppers.
Top Lashkar-e-Tayiba members Zakiur Rehman Lakhwi and Zarar Shah, both linked to the Mumbai attacks, have been detained by Pakistani security agencies and the law will take its own course if they are found involved in acts of terror, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Wednesday.
Trial against suspected top Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist Abu Jundal, an alleged mastermind of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, should be conducted through video conferencing as he faces threat to his life, NIA told a Delhi court on Friday.
A day after the Islamabad high court cancelled his detention, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attack, has been arrested once again by the Pakistan authorities.
Could Mumbai have been saved from terror on November 26, 2008? Perhaps, had the intelligence agencies of India, United States and Britain worked together.