News for 'bernard-tomic'

Bernard Tomic: The apology after infamous rant

Bernard Tomic: The apology after infamous rant

Rediff.com11 Jan 2016

Australia's top-ranked tennis player Bernard Tomic has apologised after a row with hotel staff over the use of courts near his Gold Coast residence in the leadup to the Australian Open, local media reported.

'Don't think anyone will ever come close to Djokovic'

'Don't think anyone will ever come close to Djokovic'

Rediff.com24 Jan 2024

With the Australian Open currently on, defending champion Novak Djokovic has once again been dubbed as a favourite to retain the title, and former world No. 17 Bernard Tomic of Australia firmly believes there will be no one to challenge the great Serbian.

Using hate against me as fuel for comeback: Tomic

Using hate against me as fuel for comeback: Tomic

Rediff.com13 Dec 2021

The once highly-rated Australian has been on the decline in recent years, slipping to 259 in the world rankings.

Tomic not ready to mend fences with Tennis Australia

Tomic not ready to mend fences with Tennis Australia

Rediff.com18 Jul 2015

Bernard Tomic has swatted aside offers of help from Australian tennis officials following his arrest in Miami after a noisy hotel room party.

'Bad Boys' Tomic and Medvedev fined

'Bad Boys' Tomic and Medvedev fined

Rediff.com6 Jul 2017

Australian Bernard Tomic has been fined $15,000 after post-match comments saying he had been "bored" during his first round exit from Wimbledon and had faked injury.

Australia's Tomic slammed again!

Australia's Tomic slammed again!

Rediff.com4 May 2016

Bernard Tomic's on-court commitment has come under renewed scrutiny after the Australian played match point holding his racquet backwards in defeat to Fabio Fognini at the Madrid Open.

Australia exile Tomic wins ATP title in Bogota

Australia exile Tomic wins ATP title in Bogota

Rediff.com27 Jul 2015

Australian bad boy Bernard Tomic has shrugged off his Miami arrest and banishment from the Davis Cup team to successfully defend his ATP title in Bogota.

Aussie tennis brat Tomic fined $10,000 for US Open outburst at heckler

Aussie tennis brat Tomic fined $10,000 for US Open outburst at heckler

Rediff.com2 Sep 2016

Bernard Tomic was sent packing early at the US Open and his minimal earnings were offset by a $10,000 fine levied on him for a crude on-court outburst he directed at a heckler during his first-round loss.

'Drained' Murray would have quit Aus Open over Sears's health

'Drained' Murray would have quit Aus Open over Sears's health

Rediff.com25 Jan 2016

Andy Murray would not have continued playing at the Australian Open if his father-in-law's health had deteriorated following his collapse at Rod Laver Arena, the world number two said on Monday.

Tomic hits back at Australian coach Rasheed

Tomic hits back at Australian coach Rasheed

Rediff.com26 May 2016

Bernard Tomic lived up to his reputation as an outspoken player when he hit back at tennis coach Roger Rasheed who criticised his fellow Australian's behaviour. After Tomic's first-round victory over American Brian Baker at the French Open on Tuesday, Rasheed told local radio that the player should show more commitment. "To be honest I could beat Brian Baker...he couldn't hit two balls on the court," said Rasheed, who has also coached former world number one Lleyton Hewitt as well as Frenchmen Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Gael Monfils. Tomic, the 20th seed, is not a claycourt specialist and he lost 3-6 6-2 7-6(4) 7-6(6) to Croatian teenager Borna Coric in the second round. Asked what he thought of Rasheed's comments, Tomic said: "That's why I never got along with Roger.

Miami police drop charges against Tomic

Miami police drop charges against Tomic

Rediff.com1 Oct 2015

Tomic's lawyer told Australian Associated Press that prosecutors had dropped the case over inconsistencies in reports lodged by hotel security and police.

'Arrogant brat' Tomic withdraws from Rome Masters after eight minutes

'Arrogant brat' Tomic withdraws from Rome Masters after eight minutes

Rediff.com9 May 2016

Australia's controversial tennis star Bernard Tomic has been labelled as the 'king of the excuse' by his country's media after he pulled out of the Rome Masters citing illness and excessive heat.

Tomic's appeal against fine rejected in stinging rebuke

Tomic's appeal against fine rejected in stinging rebuke

Rediff.com20 Jul 2019

Australian Bernard Tomic's appeal to overturn a fine for not playing to "required professional standards" at Wimbledon earlier this month has been denied in a stinging rebuke by the Grand Slam board.

Australian tennis player Tomic charged after noisy penthouse party

Australian tennis player Tomic charged after noisy penthouse party

Rediff.com17 Jul 2015

Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic has been charged with trespassing and resisting arrest following complaints over a noisy penthouse party at a Miami Beach hotel, police said on Thursday.

Australian Open: Tomic is Nadal's first hurdle in quest for 14th Slam

Australian Open: Tomic is Nadal's first hurdle in quest for 14th Slam

Rediff.com10 Jan 2014

World No 1 Rafael Nadal will play local hope Bernard Tomic in the first round of the Australian Open as he bids for a 14th Grand Slam title.

'No malicious intent' for putting Tomic in 'Hall of Shame'

'No malicious intent' for putting Tomic in 'Hall of Shame'

Rediff.com13 Jul 2015

Tennis Australia has apologised for a 'clerical error' in a media release that said estranged local player Bernard Tomic was playing in a 'Hall of Shame'.

Tomic fined for playing below standards at Wimbledon

Tomic fined for playing below standards at Wimbledon

Rediff.com4 Jul 2019

It is not the first time Tomic has been in trouble for not trying.

Tennis round-up: Tomic wins first title in three years

Tennis round-up: Tomic wins first title in three years

Rediff.com30 Sep 2018

Tomic had to battle hard against the top seed, saving four match points in a tense final set before wrapping up the match in two hours and 15 minutes.

Kyrgios out of Roland Garros with elbow injury

Kyrgios out of Roland Garros with elbow injury

Rediff.com27 May 2018

Australia's Nick Kyrgios pulled out of the French Open after failing to shake off a persistent elbow injury that has troubled him in the past few weeks, the 23-year-old announced on Sunday.

Davis Cup: Tomic revives Australia vs USA

Davis Cup: Tomic revives Australia vs USA

Rediff.com4 Mar 2016

Bernard Tomic ground down Jack Sock 7-6(2), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 to level Australia's Davis Cup first round tie with the United States at 1-1 in Melbourne on Friday.

Brisbane: Ferrer, Muguruza break Australian hearts

Brisbane: Ferrer, Muguruza break Australian hearts

Rediff.com2 Jan 2017

David Ferrer sent local favourite Bernard Tomic packing with an easy 6-3, 7-5 win in the opening round of the Brisbane International on Monday.

Wimbledon PHOTOS: Berdych rallies past Romania's Hanescu to enter second round

Wimbledon PHOTOS: Berdych rallies past Romania's Hanescu to enter second round

Rediff.com24 Jun 2014

Sixth seeded Tomas Berdych, came from a set down to beat Romania's Victor Hanescu, 6-7 (5/7), 6-1, 6-4, 6-3 in the first round of the Wimbledon Championships on Monday.

Boos were unfair, I had an injured groin: Tomic

Boos were unfair, I had an injured groin: Tomic

Rediff.com15 Jan 2014

Being booed and jeered by the crowd after withdrawing from his Australian Open match against Rafael Nadal was 'pretty unfair', Bernard Tomic said on Wednesday, adding he could have faced a four month injury absence had he continued playing.

Tomic will play French Open despite troubles: Woodbridge

Tomic will play French Open despite troubles: Woodbridge

Rediff.com22 May 2013

Bernard Tomic will play at next week's French Open despite his off-court troubles if only to keep some momentum going for the grasscourt season ahead, Tennis Australia's Todd Woodbridge said on Wednesday.

Tomic's father to appear in court after attack

Tomic's father to appear in court after attack

Rediff.com6 May 2013

Bernard Tomic's father and coach John is due to appear in a Madrid court later on Monday after he attacked one of his son's coaching team on a street in the Spanish capital at the weekend, local police sources said.

More woe for Sydney organisers after Tsonga withdrawal

More woe for Sydney organisers after Tsonga withdrawal

Rediff.com5 Jan 2013

Fresh off losing their top two men's seeds, Sydney International organisers were left with a nightmare scenario on Saturday when their top two local hopes were drawn against each other in the first round.

Did Tomic get off lightly for 'bored' comments?

Did Tomic get off lightly for 'bored' comments?

Rediff.com7 Jul 2017

Brad Gilbert, former coach to Andre Agassi and Andy Murray, believes Australian Bernard Tomic got off lightly for his comments about being bored at Wimbledon and could have been suspended from the game.

Tomic father's Madrid hearing suspended until October

Tomic father's Madrid hearing suspended until October

Rediff.com13 May 2013

The hearing in Madrid on Tuesday at which John Tomic, father and coach of Australian world tennis number 52 Bernard Tomic, was due to answer a charge of causing criminal injury has been postponed until October, court authorities said on Monday.

Bopanna, Paes knocked out in opening round of China Open

Bopanna, Paes knocked out in opening round of China Open

Rediff.com3 Oct 2016

India's campaign folded at the China Open in the opening round with both Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna crashing out of the men's doubles events along with their respective partners, in Beijing on Monday.

Tomic unlikely to play for Australia again: Hewitt

Tomic unlikely to play for Australia again: Hewitt

Rediff.com30 Jan 2018

Controversial Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic is unlikely to play for his country again in the Davis Cup, captain Lleyton Hewitt said.

Tomic, Hewitt give locals hope; Ferrer equals record

Tomic, Hewitt give locals hope; Ferrer equals record

Rediff.com12 Jan 2013

Bernard Tomic and Lleyton Hewitt gave local fans some excitement before the Australian Open with victories in warm-up tournaments on Saturday while David Ferrer entered the record books.

American men suffer worst Wimbledon in over 100 years

American men suffer worst Wimbledon in over 100 years

Rediff.com28 Jun 2013

For the first time in 101 years no American will be playing in the third round of the men's singles at Wimbledon.

Tomic helps Australia down Italy

Tomic helps Australia down Italy

Rediff.com4 Jan 2013

Australia's Bernard Tomic backed up his victory over World No1 Novak Djokovic by dismantling Italian journeyman Andreas Seppi 6-3, 7-5 at the Hopman Cup team event on Thursday.

Murray, Serena advance in Miami; Venus withdraws

Murray, Serena advance in Miami; Venus withdraws

Rediff.com24 Mar 2013

British World No. 3 Andy Murray cruised to a straightforward victory over Bernard Tomic at the Sony Open but the Williams sisters had contrasting fortunes in Miami on Saturday.

Tsonga saves five match points to knock out Tomic

Tsonga saves five match points to knock out Tomic

Rediff.com23 Feb 2013

World No 8 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga saved five match points in a breathtaking third set tiebreak to edge out Australian Bernard Tomic on Friday and qualify for the Marseille Open semi-finals.

Murray to face Dolgopolov in Brisbane final

Murray to face Dolgopolov in Brisbane final

Rediff.com7 Jan 2012

A merciless Andy Murray subjected Australia's Bernard Tomic to a 6-3, 6-2 thrashing on Saturday to deflate local fans and set up an intriguing final with Alexandr Dolgopolov at the Brisbane International.

Djokovic suffers shock loss to Tomic

Djokovic suffers shock loss to Tomic

Rediff.com2 Jan 2013

World No.1 Novak Djokovic suffered a shock loss to Australian Bernard Tomic at the Hopman Cup team event on Wednesday, two weeks before the defence of his Australian Open title.

'What's going on? Where is the support?'

'What's going on? Where is the support?'

Rediff.com4 Jul 2015

Tomic slams 'disrespectful' Tennis Australia.

Roddick staves off retirement, Djokovic wins

Roddick staves off retirement, Djokovic wins

Rediff.com1 Sep 2012

Andy Roddick's transition from the tennis court to the rocking chair was delayed when the former world number one reached the third round of the US Open.

Roddick to quit after US Open

Roddick to quit after US Open

Rediff.com31 Aug 2012

Former champion Andy Roddick will take centre stage at the US Open on Friday, perhaps for the last time, when he plays rising Australian Bernard Tomic for a place in the third round.