The Bombay High Court on Friday rejected the plea of 2008 Malegaon blast case prime accused sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur for liberty observing that no case had been made out for granting bail.
While five accused remained present in the court, judge P R Sitre expressed displeasure over the absence of two others. The court then directed all the seven accused to appear before it on January 4.
Thakur sought exemption on the ground she is a Member of Parliament and has to attend the parliament on a day-to-day basis.
'A member of the house referred to me as 'terrorist'. It is an attack on my dignity as a member of parliament'
The special court for MCOCA cases on Saturday rejected the bail application of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a key accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has threatened to kill herself, alleging ill-treatment meted out to her in jail. In a letter dated July 11 addressed to the media, the Sadhvi states that she is fed up with the manner in which she is being treated by the police, hospital and jail authorities and threatened to commit suicide in the Byculla jail, where she is currently lodged.
Sadhvi, 44, was granted bail by the Bombay high court on Tuesday.
Following the release of six accused in the 2006 Malegaon blast case, prime accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur has moved the court seeking regular bail.
In her petition filed before the high court, Thakur, who is currently lodged in the Byculla jail in Mumbai, said she is ready to incur the cost of both rail and/or air fare if there is any technical or procedural hitch in the same, as her safety and security is paramount.
Dismissing her bail plea, a bench of justices J M Panchal and H L Gokhale said, "There is no merit in the petition".
It discharged three accused -- Shyam Sahu, Shivnarayan Kalsangra and Praveen Takalki -- from the case.
She will give a tough fight to the Congress there, he said.
The Bombay high court has directed the National Investigation Agency to file its reply on a petition challenging its constitutional validity. Justice A S Oka was hearing a petition filed by Malegaon blasts accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur challenging the constitutional validity of the setting up of the NIA.
The court ruling came following a state government appeal against the sessions court decision to set aside MCOCA against the Sadhvi and others.
Check out all the attendees at this filmi shaadi!
Cricket climate change to medical practice, dropped candidates have their non-political life sorted.
It dropped sitting MP from Guna, Krishnapal Singh Yadav, to field Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia from the seat.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the main accused in the Malegaon blast case, has moved the Bombay High Court seeking bail, after her plea was rejected by the Maharashtra Control Of Organised Crime Act court. The court on Friday adjourned the hearing for two weeks as the Anti Terrorism Squad sought time to file its reply. Earlier, the special MCOCA court had rejected her bail application. According to Thakur's lawyer, advocate Ganesh Sowani, she had been illegally detained.
The bail plea filed by Malegaon blasts accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh will be heard on December 14 by the Bombay high court.
During investigation, 'sufficient evidences have not been found against' Pragya Singh Thakur and five others, the NIA said, adding it has submitted in the chargesheet 'that the prosecution against them is not maintainable'.
The National Investigation Agency on Saturday opposed the bail plea of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a key accused in the Malegaon blast case, in the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court. The agency said that she aided and abetted the other accused with the full knowledge of the terror strike and had offered all support to them. On November 18, Thakur had filed a bail application in the special MCOCA court for the third time.
Andhra Pradesh police officials including members of elite anti terrorist force OCTOPUS will soon go to Mumbai to question Sadhvi Pragya Singh, Shrikant Purohit and other suspects who were arrested in connection with the Malegaon blast.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who was arrested by the Mumbai police's Anti Terrorist Squad in connection with the bomb blast in Malegaon on September 29, has claimed that she is innocent."I am being framed. This is an attempt to malign me," she told her lawyer Ganesh Sovani at a Nashik court on Monday.
Thakur will be part of the 21-member committee headed by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, according to a bulletin issued by the Lok Sabha Secretariat.
'The supernatural always trumps the natural,' notes Amulya Ganguli.
Arrested in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, she was given a clean chit by the National Investigation Agency, but the trial court refused to discharge her from the case.
The agency said that it could not find any 'strong evidence' against Indresh Kumar, Sadhvi Pragya, Rajendra and Ramesh alias Prince.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur was on Monday presented before a court here in an ambulance parked inside the premises, in the Sunil Joshi murder case, as she was unable to step out due to spine problems.
All eyes are trained at Janhvi Kapoor and Varun Dhawan's latest film, Bawaal, and quite a few stars trooped in to watch it at a special screening.
The special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court on Tuesday rejected the bail application of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the key accused in the 2008 Malegoan blast.
The Bombay High Court has reserved its order on the bail plea of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, prime accused in the September 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case.After the trial court rejected her bail plea, Sadhvi moved the high court seeking liberty on the ground that the charge sheet had not been filed within the stipulated 90-day period.
'I have made a new rule: When I'm having my morning tea, a guy keeps the harmonium on my bed.' 'So while I'm writing what my plan for the day is, that harmonium is in front of me and I do riyaz of 40-50 minutes.'
Alleging that the ATS machinery was being used at the behest of the Congress, which is practicing politics of Muslim appeasement, it said, 'the arrests of cultured and educated individuals in connection with the Malegaon blasts is an effort to crush Hindus to please Muslim fanatics in the country.'
Attacking the BJP, Bhartiya Janshakti Party chief Uma Bharti expressed 'shock' that the party and its affiliated organisations were 'disowning' 38-year-old Pragya Singh Thakur, the sadhvi, who is suspected to have links with right-wing Hindu Jagaran Manch.
The special MCOCA court on Tuesday directed the state to file its reply to the allegations of physical torture levelled by sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, Lt Col Purohit and others accused in the Malegaon blast case
The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to take up on Monday an appeal filed by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, key accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blasts case, challenging her prosecution under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act.
The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to the Maharashtra government on a petition filed by Pragya Singh Thakur, prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blasts case, seeking bail.
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to interfere with a plea of former Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren challenging his arrest by the Enforcement Directorate in money laundering case.
The Supreme Court has junked a plea filed by Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit seeking discharge in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
The Supreme Court on Monday restrained the National Investigation Agency from interrogating Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in a 2007 murder case of former Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh worker Sunil Joshi.