Rediff.com  » Sports » Sabalenka pulls out of Indian Wells event after testing Covid-19 positive

Sabalenka pulls out of Indian Wells event after testing Covid-19 positive

Source: ANI
October 03, 2021 17:14 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

IMAGE: World number two Aryna Sabalenka said she has started the isolation and will be back following her testing Covid-19 positive. Photograph: Elsa/Getty Images

World number two Aryna Sabalenka will not play at the Indian Wells tournament after testing positive for COVID-19, the 23-year-old said.

 

Sabalenka was due to be the top seed in the women's draw at the Indian Wells after world No 1 Ash Barty pulled out from the Californian tournament. "Unfortunately, I've tested positive at Indian Wells and won't be able to compete," Sabalenka wrote on Instagram.

"I've started my isolation and I'll be staying here until I'm cleared by the doctors and health officials. So far, I'm looking ok but really sad to not be able to play this year," she added.

Notably, men's world No 1 Novak Djokovic, 2018 champion Naomi Osaka and 23-times grand slam champion Serena Williams are also not competing at the competition which will run on October 4-17.

Due to COVID-19, the 2021 Indian Wells Open is scheduled to take place as an 11-day event across weeks 40 and 41. 

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: ANI

https://www.rediff.com/cricket/t20-worldcup-2021

T20 World Cup 2021