News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  gplay  » Sports » EPL PIX: Arsenal stay top as Tottenham self-implode; Chelsea win

EPL PIX: Arsenal stay top as Tottenham self-implode; Chelsea win

Last updated on: October 02, 2022 05:07 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

 IMAGES from the English Premier League matches played on Saturday.

Arsenal's Granit Xhaka celebrates scoring their third goal with Fabio Vieira and Gabriel Martinelli

IMAGE: Granit Xhaka celebrates scoring Arsenal's third goal with Fabio Vieira and Gabriel Martinelli in the Premier League match against Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters

Arsenal meted out their usual punishment to their North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates Stadium with goals by Thomas Partey, Gabriel Jesus and Granit Xhaka sealing a 3-1 win to keep them top of the Premier League on Saturday.


Harry Kane's leveller for Tottenham saw him set yet more scoring records, but his side self-destructed after halftime as their 12-year wait for a league win in the fixture continued.

Mikel Arteta's Arsenal have now won seven of their opening eight games and lead the standings by four points with second-placed Manchester City facing Manchester United on Sunday.

An absorbing derby with the top spot up for grabs was evenly poised after Partey's sublime 20th-minute opener was cancelled out by Kane's penalty just past the half-hour mark, making him the first player to score 100 away goals in the Premier League.

But Arsenal was gifted back the lead in the 49th minute when a dreadful mix-up between Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris and defender Cristian Romero allowed Jesus the easiest of tap-ins.

Royal was then red-carded for the visitors in the 62nd minute for a needless kick-out at Gabriel Martinelli deep in Arsenal's half, and five minutes later Xhaka swept in Arsenal's third to leave Tottenham reeling.

There was a celebratory mood around the stadium after that as Arsenal moved up to 21 points.

Previously unbeaten Tottenham could have gone up top with a win but have now managed only one victory in their last 30 league visits to Arsenal. They are currently third with 17 points.

Tottenham will complain about the harsh decision to send off Royal, but can only blame themselves as they underperformed in this away game, at their fierce rivals.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Gabriel Jesus celebrate after the match  

IMAGE: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Gabriel Jesus celebrate after the match. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters

Tottenham have lost five of their last six league matches away to Arsenal despite finishing above them for the past six seasons.

"From the first second I think we were the better team," Xhaka said. "After we conceded we were struggling a little bit, but in the second half we were much better, and I am so happy to score my first derby goal and help the team to win."

A typically frantic start to the game saw Gabriel Martinelli hit the outside of the post for Arsenal while at the other end, fellow Brazilian Richarlison was denied by Aaron Ramsdale.

Partey was a doubtful starter due to injury, ahead of the game but produced a moment of stunning quality to put his side in front. Ben White rolled the ball across to him outside the area and the Ghanian midfielder curled a right-footer beyond Lloris's dive.

Tottenham looked dangerous on the counter-attack and Ivan Perisic lashed a good chance wide shortly before Richarlison was fouled in the area by Gabriel. From the penalty spot, Kane calmly beat Ramsdale down the middle for a record-extending 15th goal in the north London derby and 44th in London derbies overall, taking him past Thierry Henry's record of 43.

For a while, Arsenal were rattled and Tottenham looked increasingly confident, but everything changed after the interval.

Tottenham had a sloppy start to the second half and when Bukayo Saka fired in a shot, Lloris parried it out to Romero who bundled the ball back towards his keeper, only for it to squirm out of the Frenchman's grasp, just enough for Jesus to convert. It was a sweet moment for the Brazilian, whose fifth goal of the season sent a reminder to his national side's manager Tite, who left him out of the squad last month.

Tottenham then imploded after Royal's sending-off, and Arsenal's Xhaka, back in his home crowd's favour again, beat Lloris with a low shot after a Martinelli dribble, persuading a trickle of Tottenham fans to begin heading home early.

Gallagher turns heartbreaker in Chelsea win

Chelsea's Conor Gallagher celebrates scoring their second goal

IMAGE: Conor Gallagher celebrates scoring Chelsea's second goal. Photograph: Hannah Mckay/Reuters

Conor Gallagher sealed a last-gasp comeback 2-1 win for Chelsea at Crystal Palace on Saturday, sinking the club he excelled for on loan last season with a glorious curling shot in coach Graham Potter's first Premier League game in charge of the Blues.

Gallagher, applauded loudly by the home fans in the pre-match warm-up received a ball from fellow substitute Christian Pulisic, created a yard of space for himself, and then bent the ball around Vicente Guaita for his first Chelsea goal.

Earlier, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had seized a headed pass by Thiago Silva to level the match with his first goal for Chelsea in the 38th minute. The Brazilian nodded the ball down towards Aubameyang, who let it cross him before swivelling and shooting to open his account for the Londoners following his move from Barcelona.

Referee Chris Kavanagh had given Silva a yellow card for denying Jordan Ayew a run on goal by handling the ball, a few minutes before he set up Aubameyang. Palace defender Nathaniel Clyne was injured as he challenged Silva, and manager Patrick Vieira was also shown a yellow card for remonstrating with Kavanagh over his VAR-backed decision to not give Silva a red card.

Odsonne Edouard had given the Eagles the lead in the seventh minute when the French striker seized on a loose pass by Wesley Fofana, fed Ayew on the right and stabbed home the cross as it came back to him.

The result kept Potter's men eight points adrift of league leaders Arsenal, underscoring the challenge he faces after replacing Thomas Tuchel a month ago, although the Blues have a game in hand over the Gunners.

"We had to survive moments as they are a good side with dangerous players. To be a goal down and come away with three points is fantastic, so credit to the players," Potter told the BBC.

"There's character, that's for sure. They could've felt sorry for themselves after conceding the goal but the players stood up all the way through."

Before Chelsea's late winner, Palace had the best opportunity of the second half when Wilfried Zaha connected with a cross from the fleet-footed Michael Olise, but his first-time shot was saved by Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Trossard hat-trick earns Brighton point against Liverpool

Brighton & Hove Albion's Leandro Trossard celebrates scoring their third goal and completing his hat-trick

IMAGE: Leandro Trossard celebrates scoring Brighton & Hove Albion's third goal and completing his hat-trick. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

A hat-trick from Belgian forward Leandro Trossard earned Brighton & Hove Albion a worthy point in an exhilarating 3-3 draw with Premier League title-chasing Liverpool.

Brighton coach Roberto De Zerbi's first game in charge could not have got off to a better start as two well-taken goals from Trossard gave the visitors a 2-0 lead by the 17-minute mark at a stunned Anfield.

Home supporters grew more frustrated as the hosts struggled to create openings, before Roberto Firmino's goal, which was initially ruled out for offside against Mohamed Salah, only to be overturned by VAR, gave his side a 33rd-minute lifeline.

Brighton caused Liverpool more problems early in the second half, but their wastefulness at key moments proved costly as Firmino levelled with his fifth league goal of the campaign.

Liverpool completed the turnaround and appeared to be on course for a crucial victory after their slow start to the season when Brighton's Adam Webster put the ball in his own net, in the 63rd minute.

But Trossard was not done yet, completing his treble seven minutes from time and ensuring Brighton left Merseyside with the point they deserved, a draw that keeps them fourth in the standings, four points ahead of Liverpool in ninth.

Liverpool came into the match under pressure to get a busy October off to a positive start, with leaders Arsenal 12 points clear of Klopp's team, before kick-off against high-flying Brighton. Their chances of bringing the Premier League trophy back to Anfield for the second time under the German coach looked to be a distant dream as Brighton took control in the Merseyside sunshine.

First, Danny Welbeck flicked the ball through for Trossard to break the deadlock in the fourth minute, making it the ninth time Liverpool have conceded first in their last 11 league games. Then, Trossard stroked home an almost identical second.

The goal out of nowhere that did get Liverpool back into the match was not celebrated with too much vigour, given the linesman's flag was raised, but replays showed Salah was in fact, just onside when diverting the ball into Firmino's path.

Liverpool surprisingly had started the match with Diogo Jota, Darwin Nunez and Luis Diaz all on the bench, but the latter's introduction at the break immediately paid dividends, as the Colombian supplied the pass for Firmino, whose superb touch and finish did the rest.

Liverpool took the lead in the 63rd minute with a goal Brighton goalkeeper Robert Sanchez will not want to see again, as he completely missed his punch, leaving Webster powerless to prevent the own goal as the ball rolled into his net off his chest.

Brighton kept coming, with Welbeck denied by a brilliant save from Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson, before Trossard again, arrived right on cue at the back post, becoming the third opposition player to score a Premier League treble at Anfield.

Everton takes down Southampton

Everton's Conor Coady scores their first goal

IMAGE: Conor Coady scores Everton's first goal. Photograph: Chris Radburn/Reuters

Conor Coady and Dwight McNeil scored in quick succession in the second half as Everton came from behind to overcome Southampton 2-1 on Saturday and hand the hosts their third straight Premier League defeat.

Everton's second win of the season lifted them into 11th place with 10 points while Southampton are three points behind in 15th.

Everton seized control of the game after a sloppy start, but Frank Lampard's side lacked quality in front of the goal as winger Demarai Gray failed to make the most of several promising openings.

Southampton made the visitors pay after the break when Joe Aribo produced a neat finish, after he was left unguarded at the edge of the box before Everton turned the game on its head in just a few minutes.

Coady pounced on an Amadou Onana knock-down in the 52nd minute to equalise, and McNeil fired Everton into the lead two minutes later, lashing home from a tight angle following a clever pass from Alex Iwobi.

"My eyes lit up a little at the back post when I saw it pop down. It was important we got it and that we bounced back pretty quickly from going behind," said Coady, who found himself in acres of space for his goal.

"First half, we played really well but lacked a bit of a ruthless edge in the final third. I thought we deserved the three points as we were fantastic, bar that little spell."

Southampton kept pushing forward and Jordan Pickford was called into action more than once, with Adam Armstrong and Kyle Walker-Peters forcing the England keeper to make some smart saves.

Centre half Duje Caleta-Car could have a rescued a point for the Saints when he found himself unmarked at the back post deep into stoppage time, but the Croatian failed to keep his effort on target, as boos rang out on the final whistle.

"We had some good moments to score a goal, but the last decision around the box was not the best. In the second half, we showed we could do it well," said Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuettl.

A fourth defeat in five games means only three points separate Southampton and the drop zone, but Hasenhuettl added that he was impressed by his team's fighting spirit. "The positive thing for me, is that we never stopped trying and creating chances. We are convinced by what we have done today. Premier League football is brutal. When you don't score, you concede. This is what this young team has to learn," he said.

Newcastle make Fulham see Red

Newcastle United's Miguel Almiron celebrates scoring their fourth goal with Jacob Murphy and Callum Wilson

IMAGE: Miguel Almiron celebrates scoring Newcastle United's fourth goal with Jacob Murphy and Callum Wilson. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Reuters

Newcastle United made the most of an early red card for Fulham's Nathaniel Chalobah, thumping their hosts 4-1 in their Premier League clash at Craven Cottage to secure their first away win of the season.

Defensive midfielder Chalobah, was sent off in the eighth minute for a dangerous challenge on Sean Longstaff that referee Darren England initially only deemed worthy of a yellow card, but later upgraded to a straight red after a VAR review.

The visitors wasted little time capitalising on his dismissal, with Callum Wilson bundling the ball home from close range to open the scoring three minutes later. Miguel Almiron made it 2-0 in the 33rd minute with a sumptuous left-foot volley.

Things went from bad to worse for Fulham as Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored six times in eight league games so far this season, hobbled off four minutes later with an injury.

Newcastle went into the break 3-0 up after Sean Longstaff reacted quickest to thump home the rebound after team mate Sven Botman's header was turned onto the post by Fulham keeper Bernd Leno.

Almiron slotted home his second from Joe Willock's precise pass to make it 4-0, 12 minutes into the second half, and only the linesman's flag stopped him from completing his hat-trick as he had a goal ruled out for offside in the 69th minute.

Newcastle will be delighted to have scored four times despite missing record signing Alexander Isak, who missed the game after pulling out of the Sweden squad during the international break due to injury.

Bobby De Cordova Reid scored a late consolation goal for the hosts, but it made little difference as Newcastle move into sixth spot on 11 points after eight games, while Fulham are two places below them on goal difference.

Scamacca opens account as West Ham beat Wolves

Gianluca Scamacca celebrates scoring West Ham United's opening goal against Wolverhampton Wanderers at London Stadium.

IMAGE: Gianluca Scamacca celebrates scoring West Ham United's opening goal against Wolverhampton Wanderers at London Stadium. Photograph: Andrew Couldridge/Reuters

West Ham United moved out of the relegation zone as Gianluca Scamacca's first Premier League goal paved the way for a 2-0 home victory over struggling Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Scamacca, who joined for a reported initial 30 million pounds ($33.48 million) from Italian club Sassuolo in the close season, rifled a slightly-deflected shot past Wolves keeper Jose Sa in the 29th minute.

West Ham were by far the better side and doubled their lead through Jarrod Bowen's sharp left-footed finish in the 54th minute after Thilo Kehrer's blocked shot fell to him.

Wolves, who gave a debut to former Chelsea striker Diego Costa as a substitute, rarely looked like worrying a West Ham side who claimed their second win of the season.

Costa, a free transfer until the end of the season, headed one good chance wide while Daniel Podence had a goal ruled out for offside as Wolves finally rallied.

West Ham moved up to 15th with seven points with Wolves dropping into the bottom three with six.

After challenging for a top-four place and reaching the Europa League semi-finals last season, West Ham have had an underwhelming campaign so far despite a hefty outlay in the summer transfer window.

Italy forward Scamacca had found things especially tough but he made his mark in stunning fashion.

When a clearance dropped to him on the edge of the area, he took a touch and belted a shot that glanced off defender Jonny and rocketed into the goal.

Bowen gave his side breathing space when he deftly controlled a spinning ball before drilling a shot inside the post to leave Sa with no chance.

Bournemouth held by Brentford in drab stalemate

Brentford's Ivan Toney shoots at goal during the match against Bournemouth at Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth.

IMAGE: Brentford's Ivan Toney shoots at goal during the match against Bournemouth at Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth. Photograph: Andrew Couldridge/Reuters

Bournemouth and Brentford played out a goalless draw in their first top-flight meeting at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday as both teams endured a frustrating afternoon in the Premier League with few clear-cut chances.

The hosts had a penalty appeal turned down in the 22nd minute after Kristoffer Ajer's sliding challenge on Jordan Zemura, with referee Thomas Bramall sticking with his original decision after referring to the pitchside monitor.

Bournemouth have now failed to score in their last three home games but stretched their unbeaten run to four matches under interim manager Gary O'Neil.

"Once the referee gets sent to review it on camera, I thought we were going to get it. It was a tough call, to be honest," O'Neil said of the penalty decision.

"It was not the best performance but it's another clean sheet against a good side. We take a point but I'm a bit disappointed."

Bournemouth goalkeeper Neto parried Mikkel Damsgaard's effort to safety in the opening minutes in what proved to be the best chance of a scrappy and disjointed first half where Brentford had better attempts but no luck in front of goal.

Shannon Baptiste played a dinked pass into the path of Ivan Toney, who dragged his shot wide, while Ajer met Damsgaard's looped cross but steered his header onto the roof of the net in the closing stages before the break.

Toney had the best opportunity of the contest but could only fire over the crossbar at close range from Josh Dasilva's cushioned pass in the 75th minute, before seeing his free kick flick off the wall five minutes later.

In a lively end to an otherwise dull clash on the south coast, Bournemouth had another penalty appeal turned down late in the game after the ball appeared to strike Brentford midfielder Mathias Jensen's hand from a corner.

Bournemouth remain 12th in the league on nine points, while Brentford slipped to 10th with 10 points after eight games.

"I liked our mentality. I liked our organisation and our endeavour," O'Neil said. "I was disappointed with certain moments and we need to be better with the ball. We had opportunities to hurt them but then we had sloppy turnovers.

"In every other game, we posed a threat. Scoring goals is the toughest part and there are reasons today why we didn't threaten as much as we should have."

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
© Copyright 2023 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

India Tour South Africa 2023-24

India Tour South Africa 2023-24