» Sports » EPL PIX: 10-man Leicester win at Burnley

EPL PIX: 10-man Leicester win at Burnley

March 16, 2019 23:59 IST

Leicester City

IMAGE: Leicester City's Wes Morgan celebrates scoring their second goal with Jonny Evans and team mates. Photograph: Peter Powell/Reuters

Wes Morgan’s 90th-minute header earned 10-man Leicester City a 2-1 victory over relegation-threatened Burnley at Turf Moor in the Premier League on Saturday.

Chasing a second successive win under new manager Brendan Rodgers, Leicester’s task was made all the more difficult when Harry Maguire was given a straight red card for fouling Johann Berg Gudmundsson in the fourth minute.


But it was the 10 men who took the lead in the 33rd minute, as James Maddison curled a brilliant free kick into the net, becoming the first Leicester player to score two goals from direct free kicks in a Premier League season.

Jamie Vardy almost doubled Leicester’s lead before Burnley drew level through Dwight McNeil, who swept Charlie Taylor’s pull back home in the 38th minute to score his second Burnley goal.

The 10 men dug in after the break, keeping plenty of men behind the ball to frustrate the hosts, with Ashley Barnes missing the best chance to give Burnley the lead.

However, Leicester snatched all three points through Morgan, who rose highest to ensure Rodgers’ winning run continued

Leicester opened up a three-point gap over Bournemouth in 11th place in the table while Burnley remained 17th, only two points clear of the bottom three.

West Ham leave it late to see off spirited Huddersfield

West HamA

IMAGE:  West Ham's Javier Hernandez celebrates scoring their fourth. Photograph: Tony O'Brien/Reuters

Substitute striker Javier Hernandez scored a late brace including a stoppage-time winner to help West Ham United beat Huddersfield Town 4-3 in a roller-coaster Premier League clash.

The Mexico international, whose diving header had made it 3-3 with six minutes left, nodded the ball in again from Felipe Anderson's cross to send the London Stadium crowd into raptures.

Defender Angelo Ogbonna had given the home side hope with a header from Aaron Cresswell's corner after Huddersfield scored three goals in a league match for the first time this season through Karlan Grant's double and a Juninho Bacuna strike.

Earlier, West Ham took the lead in the 15th minute through skipper Mark Noble who drilled his penalty past goalkeeper Jonas Lossl after midfielder Manuel Lanzini was brought down by teenager Aaron Rowe.

The visitors responded almost immediately with their first shot on target as an unmarked Juninho Bacuna rose well to meet fellow midfielder Aaron Mooy's whipped corner with a powerful header past Lukasz Fabianski.

Huddersfield went 2-1 up late in the first half with a well-worked free kick routine that led to Grant tucking in Chris Lowe's low cross from the left. Grant's second was a powerful effort from distance in the second half.

Last-gasp Ritchie strike as Newcastle draw at Bournemouth


IMAGE: Newcastle United's Matt Ritchie celebrates. Photograph: Dylan Martinez/Reuters

Matt Ritchie’s last-gasp equaliser earned Newcastle United a point at his former club Bournemouth in a thrilling 2-2 draw at the Vitality Stadium in the Premier League.

On a blustery day on the south coast, Newcastle coped best with the conditions early on, taking the lead in first-half stoppage time when Salomon Rondon curled a sublime free kick into the net.

Their lead did not last long, though, as Josh King converted from the penalty spot three minutes into the second half to equalise, after Nathan Ake had been fouled in the penalty area.

The chances kept coming after the break, with Ritchie almost getting on the end of a low Rondon cross, before Paul Dummett brilliantly cleared off the line at the other end to keep Bournemouth at bay.

However, the pressure from the home side told, as King swept home Dominic Solanke’s pass to turn the match on its head nine minutes from time. His double took King’s season tally to 11 in all competitions.

Newcastle were not to be denied, though, as former Bournemouth player Ritchie’s half-volley in stoppage time denied the hosts victory as Newcastle pulled further clear of the relegation zone in 13th, while Bournemouth climbed to 11th.

“It’s a strange feeling as I owe so much to this club and then I wheeled away and realised I have a lot of respect for this club,” Ritchie said.

“It shows good spirit from us and we can really build on that.”

With 18th-placed Cardiff not in action this weekend, Newcastle had the chance to increase the gap between them and the relegation zone and, after escaping when King hit the post early on, they took the lead through Rondon.

After Federico Fernandez had fouled Ake in the box, King levelled things up, with the momentum staying with the Bournemouth in the aftermath.

Jefferson Lerma should have done better from close range, before Dummett’s heroics denied Bournemouth again, but the second came through a familiar source with King finishing well.

Ritchie, though had the final say on a ground he is familiar with, smashing the last-gasp strike into the net to secure what could be a crucial point for Newcastle.

“We thought we’d done enough to win...but Matt Ritchie’s left foot is deadly and he showed it today,” Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said.