» Sports » Manchester City win record-equalling fourth straight League Cup

Manchester City win record-equalling fourth straight League Cup

April 26, 2021 08:35 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Manchester City

IMAGE: Manchester City players pose with the trophy as they celebrate after winning the Carabao Cup. Photograph: Carl Recine/Reuters

Manchester City claimed a record-equalling fourth successive League Cup triumph as Aymeric Laporte's late header sealed a deserved 1-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Spurs had soaked up intense City pressure for most of the game to somehow stay in contention at Wembley Stadium.

But City finally made the breakthrough in the 82nd minute from an unlikely source as defender Laporte met Kevin de Bruyne's free kick and headed past goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.

A combination of Lloris, last-ditch defending and some poor City finishing had kept the 8,000 crowd on tenterhooks but in the end Pep Guardiola's side got their reward.


They have now matched Liverpool's feat of winning the competition for four seasons in a row, and also join Liverpool with the most League Cup wins on eight.

Tottenham, who had rookie manager Ryan Mason on the touchline after Jose Mourinho's sacking last week, produced a disappointing performance and their wait for a first trophy since winning the 2008 League Cup continues.

After City's FA Cup semi-final loss to Chelsea last weekend, they chalked off the first part of what they hope will be a treble, with the Premier League title almost in the bag and a Champions League semi-final to come against Paris St Germain.

While the League Cup is lower down Guardiola's priorities there was no disguising his joy as he became the first manager to win the League Cup in four successive seasons.

It had added significance as the final was played in front of the biggest crowd since Britain went into a first COVID-19 lockdown last March -- one of the government's test events to get fans safely back into venues as restrictions ease.

"It's not full, but it was a great noise," said Guardiola, who now has won 30 trophies as a manager since taking over at Barcelona in 2008.

"Today we are incredibly happy that we have four in a row in this competition. We tried to win the game, created a lot of chances. They had some chances on the counter but in general we had a good game."

City's permitted 2,000 fans serenaded their team at the end with the club's Blue Moon anthem although they would have had a more relaxing afternoon in the sunshine had their team turned their overwhelming first-half dominance into goals.

How the final reached halftime still at 0-0 was mystifying with Phil Foden shooting wide from close range and then seeing another effort deflected onto the post.

Raheem Sterling tormented Tottenham's defence and he was denied when his goalbound shot was stopped by Toby Alderweireld's desperate block.

Riyad Mahrez sent a superb angled drive agonisingly wide although it was not until first-half stoppage time that Lloris made his first save, diving to claw away Joao Cancelo's curler.

Tottenham improved marginally after the break with England striker Harry Kane, declared ready to start after an ankle injury put his place in doubt, finally getting into the game.

Giovani Lo Celso almost gave Spurs an unlikely lead when he picked his spot but City's Zack Steffen was equal to his effort, pushing the ball around the post.

The zip went out of City's attacks slightly but Lloris was still a busy man, keeping out efforts from City skipper Fernandinho and Mahrez and skipper Fernandinho.

Tottenham's rookie manager Mason sent on Gareth Bale with around 25 minutes remaining and the stage looked set for the Welshman to produce an unlikely twist.

But justice was served in the end as Laporte found space to head De Bruyne's perfect delivery into the net for only his second goal of the season.

Tottenham's only gripe was that Laporte was perhaps a little fortunate to escape punishment for a first-half tackle and was then booked in the second half.

In truth, though, they were second best by a long way.

Man City's Walker racially abused online

Manchester City defender Kyle Walker shared a screenshot of racist abuse he received on social media following Sunday's 1-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur in the League Cup final and asked, "When is this going to stop?"

The England international, who played the full 90 minutes as City claimed a record-equalling fourth successive League Cup triumph, posted pictures on Instagram celebrating their victory before adding a screenshot of the abuse.

"When is this going to stop?" Walker added and tagged the social media firm.

A host of players at Premier League clubs have been targeted in the past few months, including Manchester United's Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, Liverpool's Trent-Alexander Arnold and Sadio Mane, and Chelsea's Reece James.

The abuse suffered by Walker comes a day after England's football authorities joined forces to announce a social media boycott in response to continued online racist abuse of players.

The boycott will take place across a full fixture programme in the men's and women's professional game from 3 p.m. local time (1400 GMT) on Friday to 11.59 p.m. on Monday May 3.

In February, English football bodies sent an open letter to Facebook and Twitter, urging blocking and swift takedowns of offensive posts, as well as an improved verification process for users.

Instagram has announced new measures and Twitter vowed to continue its efforts after taking action on over 700 cases of abuse related to soccer in Britain in 2019.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
© Copyright 2022 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.