|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Zubin Mehta wants to 'reach out' to tsunami victims
December 26, 2005 14:23 IST
"We will reach out to those who died in last year's tsunami. We have not done enough for the victims," Zubin Mehta, the internationally-acclaimed symphony conductor, said in Chennai on Monday. He is in the city with the Bavarian state orchestra to perform at a concert in memory of victims of the tsunami.
He would be a happy man if the concert succeeded in generating more funds for tsunami relief, Mehta told reporters. At the end of the concert on Monday, some 'generous' contributions were expected for tsunami relief, he said.
Zubin Mehta, on his first visit to Chennai, said, "We in Europe did not realise the magnitude of the tragedy. Only after we saw some documentaries did we realise its enormity."
Mehta and his orchestra, who will perform in Delhi on December 28, said it was incredible to note that over 3,500 music concerts would be held in Chennai this music season.
"Nowhere in the world are such a large number of performances held within such a short span of time," he said.
Tsunami Strikes: The Complete Coverage