Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > Business > PTI > Report


HCL BPO to hire 40,000 people

April 30, 2005 18:12 IST

HCL Technologies BPO Services Ltd (HCL BPO), the BPO arm of HCL Technologies, said on Saturday that it would be expanding its staff strength to about 40,000 by 2009.

"The BPO arm started with 30 people in 2,000 and today the division has grown into a 5,000 people organisation. By 2009, the total strength of the BPO arm is expected to touch about 40,000," Chief Operating Officer, N Ranjit HCL BPO said.

In the 40,000 people, only about 3,000-4,000 employees will be working outside India and the remaining staff will be based at Indian cities.

Addressing an international conference on Emerging opportunities in infrastructure for IT/ITES services, organised by Infratech Infrastructure Services, he said revenue of the BPO arm is expected to grow by nine times by 2009. The current revenue of HCL BPO is $100 million.

Quoting McKinsey report, he said BPO sector was expected to employ about 800,000 people in the next 3-4 years and about 120 million sq ft of space would be created for IT/ITES sector.

"Last year we added about 200,000 ft of space and this year we will add 300,000 sq ft," he added.

"Several countries have been inviting us to set up development centres in their countries," he said, adding that "a recent delegation from the United Kingdom has asked us to look at the possibilities of expanding our presence in Northern Ireland."

"The operations in Northern Ireland are a joint venture with British Telecom and the joint venture employs about 800."

Ranjit said the company had recently bagged a largest ever BPO contract, which was valued at $165 million, from BT.

HCL BPO was the largest BPO in Northern Ireland and rated among the top employers.

"Mauritius have also invited and South Africa has asked us to set up a facility by assuring higher bandwidth and offering everything free for one year," he said, adding that "Mauritius can be a ideal location to address French speaking markets since there are a lot of French speaking people in Mauritius."

"We are looking at expanding our operations in Chennai and other places like Noida," he added.

Ranjit said HCL BPO was operating in three verticals -- telecom, retail and banking and financial services. "We are the largest telecom BPO services provider. About 3000 people are working for this vertical alone," he said on the sidelines of the meeting.

Currently, the United States contributes to 60 per cent of the revenue and Europe contributes the remaining 40 per cent.

Asked about recruitment, he said most of the people hired were graduates though the company recruited engineers and MBAs.

HCL BPO has nine development centres -- six in India, two in Ireland and one in Malaysia.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 2




Sub: hiring 40000 people

wrong heading


Posted by prabagar





Sub: HCL BPO to hire 40,000..

When will the BPO frenzy hit local companies? It's so risky to depend on foreign business only - Indian firms can also benefit from outsourcing. ...


Posted by bodh




Disclaimer


Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.