Cashew Chicken Curry has a white, creamy yoghurt-based gravy made from cashews and almonds.
Nadiya Sarguroh's dish pairs well with jeera rice or pulav.
Cashew Chicken Curry
- 750 gm chicken, cut in curry pieces
- 100 gm yoghurt
- 1 heaping tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp jeera or cumin powder
- 15 black peppercorns
- 5 green elaichi or cardamoms
- 2 small sticks dalchini or cinnamon
- 5 Kashmiri red chillies
- 50 gm almonds, soaked and peeled
- 50 gm cashews
- 1 medium-sized onion, boiled
- 4 green chillies
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Green dhania or coriander or cilantro, for garnish
- Marinate the chicken with the ginger-garlic paste, yoghurt, salt, cumin powder and pepper powder.
- For the cashew paste, blend in a mixer, the cashews, almonds with little water. Keep aside.
- For the onion paste, blend in a mixer, the boiled onion with the green chillies.
- In a large heavy-bottomed kadhai or saucepan, heat oil and add the dry spices along with the Kashmiri chillies.
Roast on a medium heat till aromatic.
Add the onion paste and cook for 5 minutes while stirring, till the oil oozes out.
Add the marinated chicken along with its marinade and mix well.
Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Once the chicken starts changing colour take off the lid, give it a good stir and add the cashew paste.
Cook for a couple of minutes more till the curry comes back to a boil.
Adjust the consistency of the curry by adding a little water slowly and letting it simmer.
Place the lid back on and cook for a further few minutes till the curry comes to a boil again and looks thick and creamy and the chicken is cooked completely.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice.
Nadiya Sarguroh lives in Mumbai and publishes the food blog HautePot.
Do you have any recipes to share? Please mail the recipe(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org (SUBJECT: RECIPE) with photographs/videos of the recipe, your name, location and a photograph of yours.