The UK government is inviting applications from students for its Chevening Scholarship programme for 2022-23.
Chevening Scholarships offer full financial support for one year to candidates applying for a master’s degree at any UK university.
The scholarship -- funded by UK's foreign, Commonwealth and development office and partner organisations -- covers nearly 12,000 courses from more than 150 universities.
It covers tuition fees for the selected course, travel expenses, visa fees and a monthly stipend.
Chevening has been running the scholarship and fellowship programmes in India since 1983.
It has helped more than 3,300 scholars and fellows from across India.
Currently there are four Chevening alumni present in Prime Minister Modi’s current council of ministers -- Piyush Goyal, Cabinet minister for commerce and industry, textiles and consumer affairs; Gajendra Shekhawat, Cabinet minister for Jal Shakti; Anupriya Patel, minister of state for commerce and industry; and Devusinh Chauhan, minster of state for communications.
Other prominent Chevening scholars include Amitabh Kant, CEO, Niti Aayog; TV Narendran, global CEO and MD, Tata Steel and Rahul Kanwal, news director, AajTak and India Today.
Who can apply?
Aspiring scholars who are planning to study for a one-year master’s degree in British universities can apply.
To be eligible for a Chevening scholarship you must:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country or territory.
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended.
- Have completed all components of an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university by the time you submit your application. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK but may be different depending on your course and university choice.
- Have at least two years (equivalent to 2,800 hours) of work experience.
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and receive an unconditional offer from one of these choices by July 14, 2022.
Click here for additional details on eligibility criteria, other terms and conditions.
How to apply
Interested and eligible candidates may click on the link below to submit their application online.
After you select your country of citizenship, you can refine your search depending on whether you are applying for a scholarship or a fellowship.
The last date to submit your application is November 2, 2021.
The process of selecting Chevening Scholars takes a minimum of eight months from the application deadline to when applicants are conditionally selected for an award.
Once you submit the application, the embassy/high commission reviews your application and shortlisted candidates are invited for interviews in February 2022.
The results of the interview will be announced early June 2022 onward.
Between September and October 2022, Chevening Scholars may commence their studies in the UK.
For more details, kindly visit https://www.chevening.org/scholarship/india/