With India's brand of beloved instant noodles facing the threat of a ban, we'd asked you, dear readers, to suggest recipes to substitute the 2-minute Maggi!
Here, reader Archana Gaikwad shares this easy-to-make Sevai Upma recipe.
Here's how to make Sevai (Vermicelli) Upma:
- 1 cup sevai (vermicelli)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 green chilli slit lengthwise
- 1" piece of ginger grated
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 tbsp vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups hot water
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Heat a griddle or flat pan on medium flame and dry roast the vermicelli lightly till it turns a pale golden brown. Stir frequently. Once done, remove onto a tray or platter and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. When the spluttering stops, add the grated ginger and stir well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add onion and fry till translucent and soft.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Add hot water, turmeric and salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli/ sevai, a little at a time, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Simmer and cook till the Upma is like a very thick porridge. Turn off the flame.
- Squeeze lime juice over the Upma and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve piping hot.
What are you waiting for? Hurry!
Photograph: Barthateslisa/Wikimedia Commons