Just 30 minutes and some basic ingredients are all you need to get this awesome basa capsicum dish, says reader Jayati Saha.
- 500 gm Basa fillet
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger julienned
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 capsicum, cubed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 whole red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder, as per taste
- A pinch of sugar
- Cut the fish fillet into cubes and rub salt and turmeric. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pan, heat mustard oil. Fry the fish till golden brown. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add some more oil if required.
- Add the bay leaf, whole cumin and dry red chilli.
- Add chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute well for a minute or so.
- Add the tomato. Saute till tomato pieces are cooked through.
- Add the masalas, i.e. salt, turmeric and cumin powder. You may add some chilli powder if you like it spicy. Mix well.
- Add a cup of water and let it boil. Add the fried fish cubes. Let it cook for half a minute.
- Add chopped capsicum. Mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes over low heat and till the water reduces and gravy thickens.
- Garnish with garam masala powder.
- Serve with rice or roti.
Photograph: Jayati Saha
- Slurp! Kerala Mutton Stew recipe
- 15-minute Chicken Noodle Soup recipe
- MasterChef recipe: Soft Mexican Tacos
- Quick fix recipes: Beetroot rice
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.