Make your breakfast fun and healthy with these simple recipes.
Dietitian Jasleen Kaur shares five breakfast recipes. You can share your recipes too!
Photograph: Courtesy Pexels/Pixabay.com
Oats and mixed flour onion cheela
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup of wholewheat flour
- 2-3 spring onions, chopped
- Ginger paste
- 2 green chillies
- ¾ cumin seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- Mix together the oats and wholewheat flour in a bowl. Add water to make a smooth batter of pouring consistency. Cover and set aside to rest for half an hour.
- Add spring onions, spring onion greens, ginger paste, green chillies, cumin seeds and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Heat a tava and lightly grease it. When moderately hot, wipe it clean with a cloth.
- Pour one spoon of batter on the tava and spread it with the back of a ladle.
- Cook for a while and flip it over.
Fruity yogurt with cereal topping
- 2-3 apples, cut into equal squares
- 8-10 cherries
- 1 cup skimmed milk yogurt
- 1 tsp raisins
- 3-4 walnut or almonds, chopped
- 4 tsp muesli, roasted
- Combine apple and cherries and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, mix chilled fruits, yogurt, raisins and nuts.
- Spoon into individual bowls, sprinkle muesli over it.
- Whites of hard-boiled egg
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cucumber
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 15 fresh mint leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cumin seeds, roasted and crushed
- ¼ red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tsp of green chutney
- Place the onion, cucumber, green chillies, chopped mint and coriander in a large bowl.
- Cut each egg half into four slices.
- Add the salt, chaat masala , crushed cumin seeds and mint chutney to the bowl and mix.
- Add egg to the onion mixture.
- Make a bed of lettuce and serve the chaat.
- ½ pineapple, cut into small slices
- 1 inch cinnamon
- ¾ cup drained skimmed milk yogurt
- Place the pineapple and cinnamon in a non stick pan and stew over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pineapple pieces from pan and mix into yogurt.
Moong Dal Uttapam
- 1 cup skinless split green (moong dal)
- ¼ baking powder
- ¼ turmeric powder
- 1 large capsicum
- 1 small tomato
- 1 onion
- Green chillies as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Drain the dal and grind it to paste
- Transfer into a bowl and add salt, baking powder and turmeric powder. Mix the above ingredients.
- Heat a non-stick tava, pour a spoon of the dal batter and spread it evenly. Take care that it is not too thin. Serve hot.
Have an interesting recipe to share?
We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.