Ending days of speculation, Sania Mirza was on Tuesday awarded a wild card entry along with Rushmi Chakravarthi for the women's doubles tennis event at the London Olympics.
Somdev Devvarman, too, was given a wild card in men's singles, thereby making it the largest tennis contingent ever fielded by India at the Games.
It was learnt that the All India Tennis Association (AITA) has got a letter from ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti stating that they have awarded wild cards to Sania and Rushmi for women's doubles event and Somdev for men's singles.
With their participation confirmed, India will now have seven tennis players competing in London.
Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi, Rohan Bopanna, Vishnu Vardhan were the other four selected by the AITA selection committee last week.
- Enraged Paes threatens to pull out of London Olympics
- Bhupathi, Bopanna breaking agreement with AITA: Paes
- AITA's decision defies logic: Bhupathi to Maken
- Maken favours two teams, hints at Hesh-Bopanna pairing
- Bopanna tells AITA he won't partner Paes at Olympics
- Paes ready to play with Bhupathi at London Olympics
- Bhupathi lashes out at Paes, AITA after Olympics selection