Pakistan on Tuesday said it did not want to vitiate the 'already tense situation' along the Line of Control by making 'irresponsible statements' in the wake of a string of violations of a nine-year-old ceasefire.
Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan made the remarks while responding to comments made on Monday by the Indian Army chief on ceasefire violations on the LoC.
Sending a tough message to Pakistan, Indian Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh had asserted that the Indian force reserves the right to retaliate at a place and time of its choosing.
Khan said, "Pakistan attaches great importance to the ongoing peace process with India, and is committed to resolve the issue of LoC violations under the agreed mechanism."
He reiterated Pakistan's earlier offer to hold a 'thorough investigation' into the ceasefire violations by the United Nations Military Observers Group for India and Pakistan.
The Indian Army chief on Monday condemned the beheading of soldiers killed in clashes along the LoC. Two Indian soldiers and as many Pakistani soldiers were killed last week in the worst violations of the truce that was put in place in 2003.
On the other hand, Khan welcomed External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid's remarks regarding the Indian government's commitment to ensure that the peace process is not derailed.
Khan underlined "Pakistan's desire to continue with the dialogue process with India in a sustained and result-oriented manner".
He said, "It is important that both sides make serious efforts to avoid distractions in our common efforts towards creating a peaceful environment."