rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » Pakistan blames India for delay in 26/11 trial

Pakistan blames India for delay in 26/11 trial

November 27, 2010 19:05 IST

Pakistan on Saturday said that an anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of the seven Pakistani suspects charged with involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks needs to validate lone surviving terrorist Ajmal Kasab's statement as it forms a key part of the case.

"We made the statement of Ajmal Kasab as the base (of our case) but our courts require validation of his statement and we have written about this to India," Interior Minister Rehman Malik said while interacting with journalists at the headquarters of the Federal Investigation Agency.

Responding to a question regarding Pakistan's probe into the attacks on India's financial hub two years ago, Malik said his Indian counterpart P Chidambaram had, in a press statement, expressed dissatisfaction at the trial of the accused in Pakistan.

"We have proposed to India that a Pakistani commission can visit New Delhi to validate Ajmal Kasab's statement, but India has not given any response so far. The delay is on the Indian side," he contended.

The FIA arrested seven suspects, including Lashker-e-Tayiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, on charges of facilitating and planning the attacks that killed 166 people. However, the trial has been marred by controversy and procedural delays and only one of over 160 witnesses has testified so far.

Pakistan cracked down on the Jamaat-ud-Dawah in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks when the United Nations Security Council declared the group a front for the banned LeT.

Jamaat-ud-Dawa offices across Pakistan were sealed and several of the group's leaders, including its chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, were placed under house arrest. However, the JuD leaders were freed within six months.

Some like Saeed were released when they challenged their detention in court. The government has also not issued any formal notification to ban the JuD.

As India marked the second anniversary of the attacks on Friday, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said Pakistan was committed to bringing those responsible for the terrorist assault to justice.

© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.