rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » 1.35 lakh Indians committed suicide in 2011: Report

1.35 lakh Indians committed suicide in 2011: Report

Last updated on: October 02, 2012 17:14 IST

More than 1.35 lakh people committed suicide in the country in 2011 of which the highest number were reported in West Bengal followed by Tamil Nadu.

Family Problems and illness, accounting for 24.3 per cent and 19.6 per cent respectively, were the major causes of suicides while poverty was to be blamed in 1.7 per cent of the cases, according to government data.

Love affairs (3.4 per cent), drug abuse/addiction (2.7 per cent), dowry dispute (2.4 per cent) and bankruptcy (2.2 per cent) were among the other causes.

Delhi has reported the highest number of suicides (1,716) among UTs, followed by Puducherry (557). Seven UTs together accounted for 1.9 per cent of total suicides in the country.

The number of suicides in the country over the decade (2001–2011) has recorded an increase of 25 per cent -- from 1,08,506 in 2001 to 1,35,585 in 2011.

West Bengal reported the highest number of suicides (16,492) accounting for 12.2 per cent of the total suicides last year followed by Tamil Nadu (15,963), Maharashtra (15,947), Andhra Pradesh (15,077) and Karnataka (12,622).

They accounted for 11.8 per cent, 11.8 per cent, 11.1 per cent and 9.3 per cent respectively of the total suicides in the country.

These five states together accounted for 56.2 per cent of the total suicides reported in India, the National Crime Records Bureau said. The remaining 43.8 per cent suicides were reported in the rest of 23 states and seven Union Territories, according to the NCRB.

Uttar Pradesh, country's most populous state (16.5 per cent share of the population) has reported comparatively lower percentage of suicidal deaths, accounting for only 3.6 per cent of such deaths.

Fifty-three mega cities accounted for 13.5 per cent of the total suicides in the country.

PTI
© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.