The Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday extended the suspension of operation agreement with the Dima Halam Daogah-D faction, an Assam-based insurgent outfit, for another three months till September 30.
Shambhu Singh, joint secretary in charge of the North East, has signed the extension agreement on behalf of the government of India [ Images ].
Talking to the Vision Communications, Shambhu Singh said "Since the deadline of the SoO agreement expired last month, it was necessary to extend the SoO agreement. A final accord is expected to be signed as soon as the formalities are completed."
The MHA sources said that the draft tripartite agreement with the DHD-D faction is already sent to the Assam government for the latter's approval. As soon as the Assam government returns the draft with its nod, a grand ceremony will be organised in New Delhi [ Images ] and leaders from both the DHD underground factions will be brought for signing the tripartite agreement.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi [ Images ] along with his officials are expected to be present on this occasion.
The DHD-Jewel faction has already signed the draft agreement. However, the DHD-D faction demanded inclusion of some neighbouring Dimasa-inhabited villages with the present Dima Hasao district.
Initially, the Assam government rejected the demand and agreed to incorporate only one village. After the last tripartite meeting held in May, the Assam government is believed to have agreed to reconsider its stand and incorporate some more villages with the existing Dima Hasao district.
Talking to the Vision Communications, DHD-D supremo Dilip Nunisa said, "We have given up all our demands. Initially we demanded inclusion of 94 Dimasa-inhabited villages. Now we have come down to a very negligible number. We hope the Assam government will accept our demand. We want peace and development in our region."