NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » News » Delhi rape: Bus owner arrested over false papers

Delhi rape: Bus owner arrested over false papers

January 02, 2013 20:17 IST

The owner of the bus, in which a 23-year-old woman was gangraped and brutally assaulted, was arrested in Delhi on Wednesday for allegedly submitting false documents for registration of his vehicles, said the police.

Dinesh Yadav, the owner, has been placed under arrest, a senior police official said.

Yadav, 35, was picked up from his residence in Rasoolpur Nawada village near Noida on Wednesday morning. He was placed under arrest in the evening, they said.

Investigators had on Tuesday registered a case of cheating against the owner of the bus, in which the girl was gangraped by his employees and their friends a fortnight ago.

The arrest came as the Delhi police prepare to file the charge-sheet in the gangrape case on Thursday.

Yadav allegedly gave a false affidavit about his residential address to get the bus registered with the transport authority.

The police had registered the case under sections 420 (cheating) and 181 (false statement on oath to public servant) of the Indian Penal Code against Yadav after the anomaly came to light during investigations.

Yadav is accused of submitting false information with the state transport department to get the registration certificate and the permit for the bus.

During investigations into the case, police verified the address of the owner of the bus.

It came to light that 11 buses were registered in the name of Yadav at the address H.No.11/11, Gali No 12, Kamal Pur, Burari, Delhi.

"The bus, in which the gangrape took place, was registered by providing false information at the time of registration. The owner gave as an address proof. However, as per landlord Anant Gopal, Yadav never resided at the given address. Yadav had filed a false affidavit claiming that he is a resident of the said address," an official said.

The girl was gangraped by six people in the moving bus on December 16 and thereafter brutally assaulted.

After initial treatment at Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, she was shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore, where she succumbed to her injuries on December 29.

The incident has drawn unprecedented nationwide outrage.

© Copyright 2018 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.