NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » News » Delhi constable's death not murder, claims eyewitness

Delhi constable's death not murder, claims eyewitness

Last updated on: December 26, 2012 14:08 IST

Yogendra Tomar, who claims to be an eyewitness to Subhash Tomar's injury during the gangrape protests at the India Gate, has said that the constable was not assaulted by protestors but simply collapsed while walking.

"He wasn't trampled by the protestors, he wasn't assaulted. He just collapsed while walking. There was a girl with me at that time. We both saw him lying on the ground, and then I picked him up and took him to the hospital in a police van," said Yogendra.

"I don't know what they (the Delhi police) are saying, but what I am speaking is the truth," he added. The eyewitness added that no case has been registered against him so far.

"No case been registered against me, and neither have I come in contact with the police," he added, when asked whether there was any case registered against him.

The Delhi police, however, refused to comment on the boy's claims, saying it would be able to speak on the issue only after receiving the post-mortem report.

"The doctors, who conducted the post-mortem of Tomar have told us that there were injuries on stomach, chest and neck. And post-mortem report will only tell the cause of death and before we get the post-mortem any comment on the cause of death will be pre-mature," Delhi police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

"Therefore, we request not to make it an issue before we get any post-mortem report. We have not declared any cause of death so far, we are waiting for the report," he added.

According to reports, the Delhi police has booked eight people in connection with Tomar's case. He was cremated with full state honours at the Nigambodh Ghat in Delhi on Tuesday.

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Minister of State for Home R P N Singh, Union Minister Ajit Singh and Union Home Secretary R K Singh were present to pay their last respects.

Meanwhile, doctors who were treating him have said that Tomar had no 'major external injury' except for some cuts and bruises when he was brought to a hospital in Delhi in a state of 'total collapse' on Sunday.

"He came in a state of total collapse and our doctors revived him and as he was not stable, we shifted him to the Intensive Care Unit. He was on ventilator," Dr T S Sidhu, Medical Superintendent of Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, said.

He said there was no 'major external injury marks except for some cuts and bruises'.Asked whether is it was a case of cardiac arrest, the doctor evaded a direct reply.

"I don't know. That is not my comment. He came, he was in serious shock and we revived him. In all our records, there are no severe internal injuries recorded but the post-mortem will tell everything," he said.

Tomar, who was on ventilator since his admission at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Sunday evening, was declared dead at 6.40 am. The Delhi police has assigned its crime branch to investigate the case in which murder charges have been invoked.

"The case has been transfered to the crime branch," Bhagat said. He did not provide reasons for transfering the case from New Delhi district police to the crime branch.

However, sources claimed that New Delhi district police will be busy in the coming days with regard to preparations for the Republic Day parade and maintaining law and order.

Source: ANI