Senior Congress leader Digvijaya Singh has blamed the Bharatiya Janata Party for the Friday evening attack on his convoy and said that the ruling party was "frustrated" over growing support for his party in the poll-bound Madhya Pradesh.
The former chief minister's car was pelted with stones near Kukshi in adjoining Dhar district. The vehicle was damaged but Digvijaya and leader of opposition in assembly Ajay Singh, who was travelling with him, escaped unhurt.
The BJP, however, denied any role in the incident.
In an informal chat with media persons late Friday night, Singh said the BJP was feeling "frustrated" as a large number of people had been attending rallies organised by Congress in the state, where assembly poll is due by the year-end.
Thousands of people came for the Congress-organised meets in Jhabua district in the last two days and this had unnerved the ruling party, he said.
Digvijaya said those who attacked his convoy were shouting slogans like "BJP zindabad". Police must identify and arrest the attackers.
Meanwhile, speaking to reporters at his official residence in Bhopal on Saturday, Ajay termed the attack as a "well-planned affair".
"I have no hesitation in saying that the attack on me and the Congress General Secretary was a well-planned affair," the leader of opposition said.
"We would not be cowed down by such attacks," he asserted, adding Congress will continue to expose "wrongdoings" of the BJP government in Madhya Pradesh.
When contacted, state BJP spokesman Hitesh Vajpeyi said his party had nothing do with the stone pelting incident.
"People are angry with certain statements made by Digvijay Singh and this could be one of the reasons for the attack. Infighting within the Congress could have also led to the incident," he added.