The United Liberation Front of Assam (anti-talks faction) on Wednesday claimed that it has executed its self-styled ‘assistant finance secretary and the commander (operation) of eastern command’ captain Partha Asom on charges of treason after conducting a trial.
In a statement emailed to the media in Guwahati, the assistant information and publicity secretary of the ULFA (anti-talks or Independent), lieutenant Arunodoy Asom informed that the executed ULFA leader had faced following serious charges of treason:
• Conspiring with two top officials of Assam police and Assam Rifles to kill and facilitate forceful surrender of officials and cadres of the outfit.
• Helping the Assam police on three occasions in seizure of weapons of the outfit and again conspiring to do the same.
• Conspiring to get eliminated officials and cadres of the outfit on January 16 by
the ‘Indian occupational forces’ by giving information about the whereabouts of the outfit’s secret camps and planning to take refuge in the Assam police to surrender on January 26 next.
• Feeding information to Assam police in advance on organisational planning of the ULFA; thereby failing execution of such plans.
• Swindling huge amount of organisation’s money and destroying documents on financial dealings.
• Trying to tempt the organisation’s cadres and officials to surrender in lieu of money.
Proposed to pay Rs 10 lakh each to general members of the outfit, Rs 15 lakh each to rank holder cadres of the outfit ,and Rs 25 lakh each to officials of the outfit.
• Supplying photograph of the ULFA camp where he was located, to the Assam police.
• Taking Rs 1 crore in advance from the Assam police to carry out the entire plan.
However, no reaction is forthcoming immediately from Assam police in this regard. The Assam police maintains that the ULFA (Independent) led by fugitive commander in chief Paresh Barua is no longer potent enough to create serious problem in the state because of want of sufficient trained cadres and support of the people.