Rediff reader Surupa Sengupta tells you how to make payesh with a twist.
Here's the recipe:
- 1/2 litre milk (doubled toned)
- 4 to 5 tbsp of basmati rice
- 200 gm condensed milk
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
For garnish (optional)
- Few slices of cherries and apple
- 3 to 4 almonds
- Bring milk to boil.
- Add washed rice and simmer the flame.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes stirring occasionally so that the rice doesn't crumble or stick to the bottom.
- Switch off the gas and let it rest for half an hour.
- Switch on the flame and stir for few minutes.
- At this stage add condensed milk and cook for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove from gas and add the desiccated coconut. Mix well with the payasam and allow it to cool.
- When it comes to room temperature refrigerate it.
- Garnish with few chopped almonds, cherries and sliced apple.
- Serve cold.