West Indies batting stalwart Chris Gayle was, on Thursday, told to take back his bitter criticism of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), if he wanted to bring back his days of glory and boost his international career, according to AFP.
The governing body told the big-hitting batsman that they are prepared to chalk a way out of the impasse, which has left the former West Indies captain exiled from the national team.
"The West Indies Cricket Board requires that Chris Gayle withdraws his comments in order to be considered for selection to the West Indies team," said a statement released on Thursday after a meeting of the WICB board of directors.
"The decision has been communicated to Mr. Gayle and the Board awaits his response."
The 32-years-oldhard-hitting batsman, who has had a series of disputes with the WICB, has not played for the West Indies since the World Cup earlier this year.
Gayle chose to participate in the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) in April after being overlooked for the home series against Pakistan.
Gayle then gave a radio interview in which he questioned his treatment by members of the WICB, including chief executive Ernest Hilaire and coach Ottis Gibson.
Gayle has since been ignored for the ongoing tour of Bangladesh.