Australia batsman David Warner has been suspended until the first Ashes Test and fined 11,500 Australian dollars after an alleged physical altercation with England player Joe Root, Cricket Australia said on Thursday.
Warner will miss the rest of the Champions Trophy and Australia's two tour matches before the Ashes but he will be available for the first Test against England, starting on July 10.
Cricket Australia said Warner has been suspended and fined for breaching its Code of Behaviour.
"At a hearing tonight, Warner pleaded guilty to breaching Rule 6: Unbecoming Behaviour. CA Senior Code of Behaviour Commissioner, The Hon. Justice Gordon Lewis AM, fined Warner $11,500 and suspended him from the remainder of Australia’s ICC Champions Trophy campaign as well as the Australian team’s two tour matches before the first Ashes Test against Somerset and Worcestershire. Warner will be eligible for selection for the first Test," read a statement from CA.
Rule 6 states: Without limiting any other rule, players and officials must not at any time engage in behaviour unbecoming to a representative player or official that could (a) bring them or the game of game into disrepute or (b) be harmful to the interests of cricket.
The 26-year-old Warner was fined A$5,750 ($5,400) last month by CA for a Twitter outburst against two journalists.
Australia are already without regular captain Michael Clarke, who has not recovered from a back injury. They play Sri Lanka in their final Champions Trophy Group A game at The Oval in London on Monday.
Image: David Warner
Photograph: Michael Steele/Getty Images