| Latest Cricket news on mobile: sms CRI to 7333|
Home > Cricket > Report
Mohandas Menon |
March 02, 2003 17:36 IST
Kenya vs Bangladesh, The Wanderers, Johannesburg
- The 36-run partnership between Steve Tikolo and Hitesh Modi was Kenya's best for the fourth wicket against Bangladesh obliterating the previous best of 31 (unbeaten) between Maurice Odumbe and Thomas Odoyo at Nairobi Gymkhana on 10-10-1997.
- The 40-run partnership between Maurice Odumbe and Thomas Odoyo was Kenya's best for the 6th wicket against Bangladesh surpassing the previous best of 37 runs between Ravindu Shah and Odoyo at Hyderabad (I) on 17-5-1998.
- The 33-run partnership between Odumbe and Collins Obuya was Kenya's best for the 7th wicket against Bangladesh eclipsing the previous best of 16 runs between Odoyo & Tony Suji at Hyderabad (I) on 17-5-1998.
- The unbeaten 20-run partnership between Odumbe and Peter Ongondo was Kenya's best for the 8th wicket against Bangladesh bettering the previous best of 12 runs between Aasif Karim & Tony Suji at Hyderabad (I) on 17-5-1998.
- The partnership of 46 runs between Tushar Imran and Alok Kapali was Bangladesh's best for the 4th wicket in the World Cup overhauling the previous best of 34 runs between Mohammad Ashraful and Alok Kapali against New Zealand at Kimberley on 26-2-2003.
- Maurice Odumbe (52 not out & 4-38) became the first Kenyan all-rounder to score a fifty and take a four-wicket haul in a LOI match. Odumbe (83 & 3-14 v India at Gwalior on 28-5-1998) & Thomas Odoyo (51 & 3-41 v India at Port Elizabeth on 17-10-2001) had previously scored a fifty and three wickets in a LOI match for Kenya.
- Odumbe, incidentally became the only fourth all-rounder to achieve the feat of scoring a fifty and take a four wicket haul in a World Cup match after Zimbabwean Duncan Fletcher (69 not out & 4-42 v Australia in 1983); Englishman Ian Botham (53 & 4-31 v Australia in 1992) and Zimbabwean Neil Johnson (59 & 4-42 v Kenya at Taunton 1999).
- Odumbe's 4-38 was his best bowling in LOIs. He betters his previous best figures of 3-14 against India at Gwalior on 28-5-1998.
- Meanwhile, Steve Tikolo's 3-14 was also his best career figures in LOIs. His previous best was the 3-22 against Zimbabwe at Nairobi Gymkhana on 25-9-1999.
- Obumbe's four wickets takes his tally to 16, which makes him the highest wicket-taker for Kenya in the World Cup. He went past the tally of 12 wickets, which he jointly held with Thomas Odoyo, before this match.
- This win was Kenya's sixth against Bangladesh in seven LOI matches. However, this was Kenya's first win against Bangladesh since the latter became a Test playing nation.
- The man of the match award was Odumbe's fifth in 54 LOI matches. He now equals the tally of teammate Steve Tikolo (in 55 matches) to receive the most such awards for Kenya. However this was Odumbe's third in the World Cup in 15 matches. He had received the awards against West Indies in 1996 and against Sri Lanka in 1999.
7333: The Latest News on Your Mobile!
|People Who Read This Also Read|