The term of the Commission was due to expire on March 31, 2005.
The term of the Commission, headed by retired Justice Manmohan Singh Liberhan, was to end on December 31 last year.
The commission's term which had been extended several times was to expire on Friday, a Home ministry spokesman said.
Set up a decade agao, the Commission has so far examined 99 witnesses, the last one being former prime minister V P Singh, who alleged the involvement of the BJP in the demolition of the disputed structure.
The panel, which is probing the demolition of the Babri Masjid, rejected a plea to summon Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and his deputy L K Advani.
Singh was the chief minister when the Babri Masjid was demolished in 1992.
The former Uttar Pradesh chief minister failed to appear before the panel probing the demolition of the Babri Masjid.
The commission had rejected the theory that it was a spontaneous act by karsevaks whereas the CBI court has ruled that there was no evidence that demolition was a conspiracy.
The Central government on Wednesday said it has spent over Rs 9 crore on Liberhan Commission, which was set up to probe the destruction of Ram Janma Bhoomi-Babri Masjid structure at Ayodhya on December 6, 1992.
In his report, Justice Liberhan said the senior police officers were at hand to ensure that their men toed the line and that the demolition of the disputed structure was allowed to go ahead with "military precision as orchestrated by the leaders present at the spot and carried out by their henchmen."
Bharatiya Janata Party Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament Arun Shourie, who had launched a tirade against the leadership of his party after its Lok Sabha poll debacle, on Sunday admitted that the BJP cannot whip up the Ram Janmabhoomi campaign again.
The Action Taken report of the Liberhan commission
Anupam Gupta, counsel for Liberhan Commission from 1999 to 2007, said Vajpayee cannot be indicted because he was neither given notice or summoned.
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said he respected veteran BJP leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee as a senior politician and did not know whether the Liberhan Commission has done the right thing or not by naming him in its report on the Babri demolition.
The Congress on Monday gave a clean chit to former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and spiritual preacher Deoraha Baba, whose names figure in the list of those found culpable by the Liberhan Commission, for the demolition of the Babri Masjid on December 6, 1992. "Vajpayee's name was not in the conspiracy (to demolish Babri mosque). His name was only in one of the lists," Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said.
The Commission has reached "bizarre" conclusions, he said during the debate and took strong objection to the adverse comments made against former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and senior leaders L K Advani and M M Joshi. Rajnath Singh said the report was "not unbiased" and said it was a "political document of character assassinations" as legal criteria for indictment had been ignored.
During the meeting, Home Minister P Chidambaram would bring in the Action Taken Report for approval before it is laid on the table of the House along with the Liberhan commission report. Pranab Mukherjee will chair the Cabinet meet in Dr Singh's absence.
Challenging the verdict is a deterrent to future peace and harmony and a socially irresponsible act, argues Vivek Gumaste.
The Liberhan Commission, inquiring into the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition, will reveal the names of those who had demolished the disputed structure at Ayodhya.
The Uttar Pradesh government also said the then prime minister P V Narasimha Rao was 'indirectly' involved in it.
The former UP CM said he did not remember clearly what exactly he had said 'against' BJP on the Ayodhya issue.
The Babri mosque issue on Thursday rocked the Lok Sabha with some members demanding action on the report of Liberhan Commission which probed its demolition 20 years ago.
The term of the Liberhan Commission of inquiry has been extended by three months upto June 30, 2006.
The Central Bureau of Investigation has decided in principle not to file any fresh case from the Liberhan commission report which indicted 68 people including Bharatiya Janata Party stalwarts Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani for demolition of the Babri Masjid, but will go into details of some incidents as pointed out by the Union home ministry.
The Babri Masjid Action Committee (BMAC) demanded the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Centre to move applications in the Allahabad High Court for daily hearing to expedite trial and judgement in the mosque demolition case.
The Liberhan Commission has recommended to the government to examine the desirability of establishing a Criminal Justice Commission.
Chidambaram's instruction to Khare also clearly stated that till his return, any information pertaining to the report which probes the demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992, must not leak, treasurer of Congress Moti Lal Vohra told rediff.com.
Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram's reply last week to the debate in Parliament on the Liberhan Commission's report would largely be seen as the United Progressive Alliance government's comprehensive indictment of the role of the Bharatiya Janata Party and its leaders in the demolition of the disputed structure in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992.
Opposition parties led by the Bharatiya Janata Party on Tuesday created ruckus in the Lok Sabha by resorting to loud sloganeering to disrupt Union Home Minister P Chidambaram while making a statement over the Liberhan Commission's report related to the Babri mosque demolition during the ongoing discussion.
"Certainly, absolutely, totally...Supplementary chargesheet can and will be filed," party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi said when asked whether such an action will be taken against all those who have been named in the Commission's report but against whom there are no FIRs.
Amid controversy over leakage of the Liberhan Commission report, the Congress targeted the Bharatiya Janata Party saying the indictment of those responsible for the incident is very clear.
"The government should table the report at the earliest along with ATR. The Commission has submitted the report after a delay (about 17 years) and the government should not delay it any further," Singh told media persons outside Parliament.
Maintaining that BJP leaders accused in the Babri mosque demolition fully co-operated with the Liberhan Commission, party president Rajnath Singh today said the report has been submitted after a long delay.
Seventeen years after it was set up, the Liberhan Commission, looking into the Babri Masjid demolition in Ayodhya, submitted its report to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday.
The Bharatiya Janata Party on Wednesday dubbed the Liberhan Commission report, probing the Babri Masjid demolition, as devoid of any credibility and said the 'leakage' of the report was as dubious as its content.
The Liberhan Commission report on the demolition of Babri Masjid on Wednesday generated heat in the Rajya Sabha with the Congress and the Samajwadi Party squarely blaming the Bharatiya Janata Party for the demolition of the historic structure, while the main opposition debunked the report.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday postponed a debate in the House on the report of the Liberhan Commission, which was scheduled for Tuesday, due to non-availability of Hindi version of the Commission's report on Banri mosque demolition.
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party leaders L K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi will not participate in the discussion on the Liberhan Commission findings in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday following a decision by the party against fielding those indicted in the report. "We have taken a conscious decision that leaders whose names appear in the accused list will not speak during the discussions," a senior party leader said on Monday.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati sees a Congress-Bhartiya Janata Party conspiracy behind what she termed as a "systematic leakage" of the Liberhan Commission report.
The Liberhan Commission in its probe did not even spare the Supreme Court for its 'short-sightedness' in preventing the demolition of the Babri Mosque.