Contentious boundary issue and ways to boost bilateral ties were among the issues which figured during discussions between National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and China's chief negotiator Dai Bingguo in New Delhi on Friday.
India and China have reached a "common understanding" on the progress made so far in their vexed border talks that will provide a framework for drawing a "fair, reasonable and mutually acceptable" boundary, National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon said on Tuesday.
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon on Monday held talks in Beijing with senior Chinese diplomat and his counterpart for the boundary negotiations Dai Bingguo and discussed wide-ranging bilateral issues.
In a major confidence building measure, India and China on Tuesday signed an agreement for setting up a mechanism to avert any untoward incident on the border, with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh saying good cooperation between the two countries would bring "great changes" in the world. The agreement was signed after two days of talks between Special Representatives -- National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and Chinese State Councillor Dai Bingguo.
India and China will hold the 15th bilateral round of talks in this capital with an agenda to address border claims, visas, cooperation and improve current bilateral trade from $60 billion to $100 billion by 2015.
Amid a deterioration in United States-Pakistan ties, China has assured Pakistan's political and militaryleadership of its support in maintaining sovereignty and internal stability and promised to help its 'trusted ally' play a bigger role in global and regional affairs.
In addition to the legal claims of territories, the political signals from Beijing also need to be deciphered and considered before a territorial dispute resolution can be made by India, says Srikanth Kondapalli.
The fresh round of India-China special representative talks, which were postponed in November after the Chinese protested the Dalai Lama's scheduled participation in a programme in New Delhi, will now be held on January 16-17 in the capital.
In a sudden development, the border talks between India and China scheduled to commence in New Delhi on Monday have been indefinitely postponed.
India and China have been friends for 99.9 per cent of the time in over 2,000 years of exchanges between them, Beijing's chief negotiator in boundary talks Dai Bingguo says, underlining that the two sides should "cast off" the shadow of the 1962 war and build a bright future together.
It appears India and China have decided to step back and take a deep breath, writes Shyam Saran.
India and China on Monday began talks to put in place a mechanism for management of the border between the two nations, an issue that has been an irritant in bilateral relations.
India's concerns over China's plans to build two nuclear reactors for Pakistan and bilateral issues are set to figure prominently during talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's special envoy Shiv Shankar Menon and the Chinese leadership in Beijing from Saturday.
In the wake of China blocking United Nations Security Council's sanctions against Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar, India has provided detailed information to it about his involvement in terror activities, and hopes Beijing would support the move. The issue figured during the talks between special representatives -- National Security Adviser M K Narayanan and Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo in New Delhi last Friday and Saturday.
1962 will not be allowed to happen again. Take the word of an old war veteran for it, says Colonel John Taylor (retd), even as there is talk that China may strike at India this year and try to grab some territory.
Ahead of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's visit, India and China on Tuesday concluded their 14th round of special representatives border talks, with both sides agreeing to seek a "fair deal" as they made "steady progress" on a framework to resolve the long-running boundary dispute.
Ahead of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's New Delhi visit, India and China on Monday explored ways to resolve the vexed boundary issue as the special representatives of the two countries held the 14th round of border talks in Beijng.
China has said that it has "no objection" to India's candidature for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council but was firmly opposed to Japan's bid for the same due to "historical baggage", according to Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Sitaram Yechury.
Ahead of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's visit to New Delhi next month, India and China will hold the 14th round of boundary talks in Beijing on November 29-30, the Chinese foreign ministry announced on Tuesday.
India and China failed to reach any specific agreements on their disputed boundary issue on Friday in the latest round of negotiations in Beijing but decided to pursue their goal for a "fair and reasonable" solution acceptable to both sides.
The Prime Minister, who advanced his departure to avoid Delhi fog, will utilise the time for making a visit to the Olympic games stadium and a meeting with Indian businessmen for a briefing on issues that would come up during his discussions with the Chinese leadership on the economic side.
Unlike Indo-Pak talks, which are equally sensitive, India-China border talks have been low-key without arousing any kind of unrealistic optimism or expectation. Talks have been slow, but steady, without meeting any roadblock. This is symbolic of maturing of relationship between the two countries which has been achieved over the years.
Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo spoke to India's National Security Adviser M K Narayanan over phone and briefed him on the 'violent crimes' in Lhasa and 'expounded' China's stance on and concerns over the Tibet issue. Narayanan stated that Tibet was part of the Chinese territory and that India does not allow Tibetans to conduct 'anti-China political activities' in the country, official Xinhua news agency said.
'There is absolutely no reason for India and China to even contemplate a conflict! Yes, but we are rivals.' says National Security Adviser M K Narayanan.
"The message of the Friendship Year has been that our millennium friendship needs to be actively harnessed for realising the full potential of our bilateral relations."
Chinese President Hu Jintao's exit from the G-8+5 summit to return home to deal with rioting in Xinjiang is considered a setback to the summit at L'Aquila in Italy.
China also welcomed the recent statement made by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee in Bangkok.
Indian Ambassador to China Nirupama Rao and her Chinese counterpart in India, San Yu Si, are among the 19 delegates who will assist the special representatives in the talks.
This round of negotiations takes place three months after the last meeting of the special representatives in New Delhi indicating speeding up of efforts to resolve the boundary dispute.
At the two-day talks, which will conclude on Thursday, the Indian side is represented by National Security Adviser M K Narayanan while the Chinese side is represented by Dai Bingguo.
The sixth round of India-China special representative-level border negotiations began in Beijing on Monday as part of efforts of the two Asian giants to reach a package to solve the vexed boundary issue.
Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo, who is also its special representative, will hold the fifth round of boundary talks with his Indian counterpart National Security Advisor M K Narayanan.
Special representatives of the two countries -- National Security Adviser M K Narayanan and Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo -- will hold two-day talks in Delhi and Ooty in Tamil Nadu, officials said on Saturday.
The two sides are looking to move forward in mutual understanding.
No conclusive end was reached in the talks.