The Pakistani military on Monday rejected the regret expressed by the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation chief for a cross-border air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers and warned that the action could have "grave consequences".
Inter-Services Intelligence agency chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha visited the United States to discuss intelligence coordination and not the resumption of military aid that was recently suspended by the American administration, the Pakistani military spokesman said on Saturday.
Firing was heard near the United States Consulate in Peshawar on Saturday morning, according to some media reports. Troops have cordoned off the area and army choppers are circling it, said reports. The firing had been going on at Shama Chowk near the US Consulate from 6 am on Saturday, said reports.There were no reports of any casualties. According to reports, the US Consulate was not the target of the attack. Some reports claimed that a few gunmen had been spotted.
The Pakistani military has rejected reports that it gave China access to the top secret stealth helicopter that crashed during the covert American raid that killed Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in May.
Khan's detention was first reported by BBC Urdu, which said the officer had been serving in the Regulation Directorate of the General Headquarters for two years and went missing one-and-a-half months ago.
The Pakistani Army on Friday rejected a United States-led inquiry report into a cross-border North Atlantic Treaty Organisation air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November, saying it is "short on facts." "The Pakistan Army does not agree with the findings of the US/NATO inquiry as is being reported in the media. The inquiry report is short on facts," chief military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said.
More than 35 Pakistani soldiers went missing on Thursday after a fierce attack by the Afghan Taliban on a border check-post in the country's restive tribal belt. The militants have claimed that they are holding ten Pakistani soldiers hostage.
Pakistan is expected to object to 'India's growing role in Afghanistan' in its key strategic dialogue with the United States this week as Islamabad seeks to torpedo New Delhi's offer to train Afghan forces with a similar offer of their own.
Pakistan army has arrested a retired Major for his alleged links with terror suspects David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana, nabbed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation on charges of plotting attacks against India and Denmark.
After repeatedly expressing suspicion over Indian role in the South Waziristan insurgency, Pakistan has finally admitted that it has found "no concrete evidence" to establish the Indian angle.
Pakistan has rejected reports that militants attacked its nuclear facilities at least thrice in the last two years.
Pakistani security forces have killed over 30 militants in fresh fighting in Swat and the Waziristan tribal region, where the security forces carried out retaliatory air strikes after the Taliban launched attacks on several military bases.
The Pakistan Army on Tuesday claimed that its forces waging a tough ground offensive in the lawless South Waziristan tribal region have captured most of the towns and populated centres from the Taliban.
In a dramatic rescue mission, Pakistani commandos on Sunday stormed a building near the army headquarters in Rawalpindi to end a 20-hour siege freeing 42 hostages held by the Taliban terrorists, who staged a brazen assault on the top military facility, and killed 4 militants.
At least eight people were killed and six others injured when two missiles fired by a suspected US drone hit a 'madrassa' founded by a Taliban leader in Pakistan's restive tribal region. The drone fired missiles at Taliban leader Sirajuddin Haqqani's madrassa located a few kilometres from North Waziristan Agency's main town of Miranshah, late Wednesday night.
Heavily-armed Taliban militants have abducted nearly 400 students and staff members of a cadet college after intercepting a convoy of buses in a lawless tribal region near the North West Frontier Province.
The security forces have cleared and secured the town of Mingora though they are still encountering pockets of militant resistance on the outskirts, chief military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas was quoted as saying by media reports.
Members of the banned Jaish-e-Mohammed and militants from South Waziristan tribal region are fighting alongside some 5,000 Taliban fighters in Pakistan's restive Swat valley, chief military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said on Friday.
Terrorists from the Taliban and other banned groups like the Jaish-e-Mohammad carried out the assault on the Pakistan army headquarters with the intention of taking hostages who could be swapped for over 100 arrested militants, a military spokesman said on Monday.
The Pakistan Army on Wednesday said Faisal Shahzad, arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the failed bombing in New York's Times Square, is the son of a retired Air Vice Marshal.
By all accounts the diabolical policy that Pakistan has followed on Afghanistan has been motivated in large measure by its unrelenting enmity towards India. It is a different matter that in its quest for attaining 'strategic depth', Pakistan has ended up creating a 'strategic black hole' that could one day devour it, says Sushant Sareen
The Pakistan army has admitted that it is in contact with Afghan Taliban leaders, including Mullah Mohammad Omar, and can bring them to the negotiating table with the US if its concerns with India are addressed.
The Pakistan army has ruled out the possibility of a cut in the procurement of conventional and India- specific weapons purchase, despite a sharp increase in expenses due to operations against Taliban in the country's northwest."If you are suggesting that we should take something out of here and put it in another box that would not be a wise strategy. War on terror does require resources, but it should not be at the cost of something else," said a military spokesman.
"According to our reports there has been no firing incident or exchange of fire on Wednesday," Pakistan's military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas told PTI. "There has been no report of any incident from any part of the LoC," he said.
Four Pakistani soldiers were killed and three others wounded on Thursday when an army patrol was attacked by unidentified assailants in a thickly forested area along the Line of Control in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. The army patrol, on a routine scouting of the LoC along the Buttle sector of Jajira area, detected some "unknown assailants", on the Pakistani side and they opened fire at the soldiers, military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas said.
If General Asim Munir, Pakistan's new army chief, wants to help defuse the current polarised atmosphere and shepherd civilian politicians towards negotiations on an acceptable date for elections, he may need to distance himself from any perception of needless hostility to Imran Khan, explains Rana Banerji, who headed the Pakistan desk at RA&W, India's external intelligence agency.
Amid assertions by the Indian army that infiltration in Keran sector was backed by Pakistani troops, Islamabad on Tuesday said blame game is not the solution to any issue and insisted it too wants a ceasefire along the Line of Control.
With hardline commander Mullah Fazlullah at its helm, the Pakistani Taliban has vowed to launch a wave of revenge attacks and ruled out talks with the government.