The 23-year-old British driver has tested for McLaren and currently drives for Mercedes in the German DTM touring car championship.
German carmaker BMW, which last week announced its exit from Formula One, has rejected an offer from team founder Peter Sauber to take over the team, Sauber said on Thursday. But BMW said they are still in talks to reach a deal with Sauber as well as other interested parties about the sale of BMW's 80 percent stake in the Formula One team.
Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa has been named the second driver at the BMW Sauber Formula One team for the 2010 season.
Kamui Kobayashi will race for Sauber next season, ensuring Japan still has at least one driver on the starting grid now that Toyota have followed Honda out of Formula One. The 23-year-old impressed after competing as a stand-in for injured German Timo Glock at Toyota in the last two races of this year.
Monisha Kaltenborn's fast track to the top in Formula One has seen her steer smoothly through the daunting 'esses' of scepticism and sexism to success with Sauber.
Swiss-based Sauber have parted company with principal Monisha Kaltenborn, the first woman to run a Formula One outfit, the team's owners said.
Australian Piastri, winner of four of the last five races, lapped the Imola circuit with a fastest time of one minute 16.545 seconds on the softest tyre compound with Norris 0.032 slower on a sunny afternoon.
Indian-born Monisha Kaltenborn became Formula One's first female team principal on Thursday after taking the helm at Sauber from founder Peter Sauber with immediate effect.
A selection of Formula One cars and memorabilia will be auctioned off at the airport over a six-week period from February 19.
A summary of sports events and sports persons, who made news on Wednesday
Will things be the same at Bahrain? Here's where we look to the front - by looking at what we've learnt.
Formula One has lost another of its principals.
Former world champions Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button are among six drivers hit with a plethora of penalties on the grid for Sunday's Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
World champion Lewis Hamilton took pole for Mercedes in qualifying on Saturday for Formula One's season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
Formula One's 'halo' head protection device makes its race debut this season in a 21-round championship with France and Germany back on the calendar and some new faces joining the old favourites on the starting grid.
Formula One starts a new season in Australia on March 15 with a number of changes to the rules and regulations, as well as new faces in the paddock. Check out what's different for 2015.
With the year sprinting to a close, we bring you, in pictures, some of the best action from the sports world.