Pakistan on Friday claimed that the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operatives arrested for their involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks would be completed within four months, but also sought more time to examine the evidence provided by India against the terror group's founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed.
The next war between India and Pakistan could be fought over water, Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder Hafiz Muhammad Saeed has claimed. Saeed, who currently heads the Jamaat-ud-Dawah, made the remarks while addressing a gathering at a mosque in Chowburji area of Lahore on Sunday.
No militant belonging to the Lashkar-e-Tayiba or its parent organisation, the Jamaat-ud-Daawa, has been included in Pakistan's top 10 most wanted terrorists list.JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, along with other top LeT commanders, has been accused of masterminding the deadly Mumbai terror attacks on November 26, 2008, in which 179 people were killed.Pakistan's top ten most wanted terrorists belong to six militant and sectarian organisations linked to the al-Qaeda and the Taliban.
Former Inter-Services Intelligence chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha Pasha knew of Osama bin Laden's hideout in Pakistan and LeT founder Hafiz Saeed was in regular contact with the slain Al Qaeda chief, a media report said on Wednesday.
Saeed, has been moved to an unknown location.
Facing strident calls to bring the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks to justice, Pakistan says the terror strike last November "would not have happened" if India had shared information about some suspects in time. Islamabad also said it will examine the fresh evidence provided by India on the basis of which Interpol issued a Red Corner Notice against Jamaat ud-Dawaa chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, the prime accused in planning and executing the 26/11 attacks.
With Interpol issuing Red Corner Notice against Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, India on Wednesday said the development vindicates its stand on his involvement in Mumbai terror attacks, and urged Pakistan to act on the basis of evidence collected 'painstakingly'.External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said the world should take note of the Interpol notice.
India handed over "additional information" on Mumbai attacks to Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik, who met Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao in New Delhi on Friday. During the meeting held following a request by Malik, additional information on the 26/11 terror attacks including inputs on some of the key aspects and accused involved was given by Rao.
He also dismissed as 'a mere eye wash' the house arrest of Lashkar-e-Tayyaba chief Hafiz Saeed.
Pakistan will fulfil international obligations regarding the designation of individuals and entities by the United Nations as terrorist, Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani told visiting US Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte.
Stating that prosecution of "some individuals" of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba by Pakistan was "not enough," India on Wednesday demanded "severe action" against Hafiz Saeed, mastermind of Mumbai attacks, so that he does not remain a free man to incite more violence against the country.
India on Thursday rubbished Pakistan's contention that it was not provided sufficient evidence about involvement of Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed in Mumbai attacks, even as it is seeking details about Islamabad's claim about banning outfits like JuD and Jaish-e-Mohammad.
Pakistan on Thursday said that the information provided so far by India on the Mumbai attacks was not enough for it to take legal action against outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Mohammed Saeed. "It needs to be underlined that the dossiers and information received from India apropos Saeed are not really enough ... to proceed legally as is being expected," Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit told a weekly news briefing in Islamabad.
India on Saturday said there was "enough evidence" to continue investigation against Jamaat-ud Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed in connection with the Mumbai attacks even as it finalised response to the latest set of questions sent by Pakistan.
Unhappy over Pakistan's repeated claim about lack of evidence to prosecute Jamaat-ud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, India on Wednesday said it should not ask any more questions as enough proof has been provided in the dossiers on Mumbai attacks. "They should not ask any more questions. Everything is contained in the dossier," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters in New Delhi when asked to comment on Pakistan's claim that it does not have evidence to prosecute Saeed.
Notwithstanding the recent Indo-Pak foreign secretary-level meeting for which India took initiative, Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed has said Pakistan will have to 'fight a war at all costs' if New Delhi is not prepared to hold talks.
On the eve of the Indo-Pak foreign secretary-level talks, Pakistan on Wednesday said that India's demand for handing over of Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, the mastermind of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, should not be bracketed with the parleys as it would be 'counter-productive.'
The Pakistan government on Wednesday asked the Supreme Court to adjourn for a week, the hearing of petitions against the release of Jamaat ud Daawa chief Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, a key accused in the Mumbai attacks, even as Punjab province's move to withdraw its plea was stalled due to federal intervention.
The Pakistan Supreme Court on Monday asked authorities to provide 'solid grounds' for detaining Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, more than a week after two petitions were filed before it against the release of the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawaah chief, a key accused in the Mumbai attacks, from house arrest.
Jamaat-ud-Dawaa chief Hafiz Saeed, the alleged mastermind of the Mumbai terror attack, on Wednesday claimed that he has never known Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested that night. "I never saw him. In fact, it was from the media in India that I discovered he was a Pakistani national," Saeed said in a rare interview to Qatar-based Al Jazeera news channel in Lahore."I have never met Kasab nor have I ever known him and I have said this on many occasions," he said.
India on Monday termed as "internal matter" the Pakistan Supreme Court rejecting petitions challenging the release of Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed, a key accused in the Mumbai terror attack, but said it will closely monitor the case.
Pakistan Supreme Court on Monday rejected, on technical grounds, two petitions by the Pakistan and Punjab governments challenging release of Hafiz Mohd Saeed, Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief and a key accused in the Mumbai attacks, from house arrest, prompting authorities to announce they will file fresh pleas after removing the flaws.
A Pakistani court has directed authorities to respond within a week to a petition by Lashar-e-Tayiba founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed's wife challenging his detention in the wake of the Mumbai terror strikes.
Pakistan's federal government and the authorities of Punjab province on Saturday filed two petitions in the Supreme Court challenging the release from house arrest of outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, wanted by India for the Mumbai terror attacks.
The Jammu and Kashmir government suspended four police officers and an official of the forensic science laboratory (FSL) in the rape-and-murder of the two young women in Shopian town.
India on Monday reacted strongly to the Lahore High Court's order to dispose of the anti-terror case against Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed, the alleged mastermind behind the November 26, 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Banned Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed has joined the debate over conditions attached to US aid to be provided to Pakistan, charging that clauses asking the country to take action against militant groups had been included due to "Indian pressure".
Special public prosecutor in the 26/11-terror attacks case, Ujjwal Nikam, on Friday demanded that the Pakistani court should conduct an open trial in the case, slated to begin there on Saturday.
Mohammed Omar Madni, a suspected aide of Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder Hafiz Saeed, is likely to be questioned by the Mumbai police in connection with the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts case. "We are in touch with Delhi police authorities and after getting more information from them, we will send a team to interrogate him," Additional Director General (Anti-Terrorism Squad) K P Raghuvanshi said.
Pakistani authorities are keeping a close watch on Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, who is allegedly the mastermind behind the terror attack on Mumbai, after a court ordered his release from detention three days ago. Personnel from the Prison Department were withdrawn from Saeed's residence in Johar Town in Lahore soon after the Lahore High Court released him from house arrest on Tuesday.However, the government of Punjab province has deployed policemen at his home.
Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed's release has raised questions about the efficacy of Pakistan's campaign against terror and the adequacy of the country's legal framework for dealing with militant leaders, the Pakistani media said on Thursday.
Pakistan on Thursday said the government of its Punjab province will file an appeal against the Lahore High Court order releasing banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, who was placed under house arrest in December last year, in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks.
The release of Jamaat -ud-Dawaa chief Hafiz Mohammad Sayeed is probably one of the worst thing that could have happened to India. Although the Lashkar-e-Tayiba continued to operate despite its chief being detained, Saeed's release will only motivate more youth to take up jihad, sources in the Intelligence Bureau told rediff.com.
"We are unhappy," said Home Minister P Chidambaram, reacting to Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed's release by a court in Pakistan.
"If 5,000 of these folk (some have estimated the strength of the LeT upwards of 150,000) decide to come out tomorrow in defense, there would be no police -- nowhere in sight. They could take over the city."
Veteran actor says some members of the BJP really need to 'control their tongue'.
Mahmood Ali Durrani, who was sacked as the Pakistan's National Security Advisor after he acknowledged Ajmal Kasab's Pakistani nationality, has insisted that Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed had no role in the 26/11 terror strike and has asked New Delhi not to "push" Islamabad.
Even as Pakistan continues to claim that India has not provided enough evidence in the Mumbai terror attack case, Interpol has suggested otherwise by issuing an arrest warrant against Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed.
The designation seek to deny Dakhil the resources to plan and carry out terrorist attacks.
"The difference between the state and non-state actors will come to an end after this statement," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju told reporters.