Lotus, one of the most successful and glorious names from Formula One's past, will return next year with a Malaysian-owned team replacing BMW-Sauber as the 13th entry on the starting grid.
Formula One's governing body on Tuesday named Lotus as the 13th team for the 2010 championship.
Williams and Force India have rejoined the Formula One Teams' Association as full members after being suspended earlier in the season, FOTA said on Wednesday. The association, which represents the teams as a united body in talks with the governing FIA and commercial rights holder, said in a statement after an executive committee meeting it had welcomed them back while also remaining open to new entrants.
Vietnam is a growing market for sponsors such as brewer Heineken and would be a fifth Asian race on the calendar, making up for the departure of Malaysia.
Formula One's ruling body the FIA ruled on Wednesday that the diffuser fitted to championship leader Jenson Button's Brawn GP is legal. The long-awaited verdict confirms the Briton at the top of the driver standings after sensational wins in the season's first two races in Australia and Malaysia.
The Renault Formula One team and Spain's Fernando Alonso were given the green light to compete in Valencia this weekend after getting a one-race suspension overturned on Monday. The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that its court of appeal has decided to reduce the sanction imposed on the French team to a reprimand and $50,000 fine.
Ajith exclusively talks about his first test race at Formula 2 Championships.
Events in Europe could reshape the F1 championship before teams regroup in China next week. The focus is on the International Automobile Federation and an appeal court hearing scheduled for Paris on April 14 that will make a definitive ruling on the sport's diffuser controversy. If the protesting teams -- BMW-Sauber, Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault -- succeed in overturning stewards' decisions from Australia and Malaysia, then Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams will be reined in.
Doubts about Force India being able to race at Spa, the first Grand Prix since the August break, emerged on Wednesday with reports of legal complications.
Formula One's governing body will decide on Friday whether to change next year's scoring system so that the top 10 drivers can take points, with race winners collecting 25. The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement on Thursday the proposal, made by the Formula One commission, would be put to its World Motor Sport Council for final approval.
Stewards summoned Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton Thursday after reopening an enquiry into an incident that gave him third place at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
Toyota's Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock were sent to the back of the Australian Grand Prix starting grid on Saturday after stewards ruled their cars breached regulations. The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that the upper rear wing elements of the two cars were too flexible and the cars were excluded from the official qualifying classification.
Chennai driver Parthiva Sureshwaren has secured a place on the FIA Formula Two grid, joining Armaan Ebrahim as the second Indian driver on the circuit this season.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has set Silverstone a December deadline to keep next year's British Grand Prix on the calendar.
Max Mosley backed former Ferrari boss Jean Todt as his ideal successor on Wednesday after ending speculation that he would seek a fifth term as head of motorsport's world governing body. The International Automobile Federation (FIA) president wrote to all member clubs saying he had received almost 100 messages of support from within the organisation but had decided to stand down anyway.
Formula One teams have been told by the sport's governing body that the published 2010 regulations can only be changed if all, including the new entrants, agree. The autosport.com website reported on Tuesday that International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley had written to the teams pointing out the procedures laid down in the rules.
Twenty men, who allegedly helped plan and carry out the Mumbai terror attack, including several Lashkar-e-Tayiba members, figure in a list of 119 most wanted terrorists in Pakistan.They figure in the 'Red Book' or list of 119 'most wanted terrorists' that was drawn up by the FIA in October last year. The Red Book was prepared by the FIA and provincial police forces.However, the top leadership of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and banned groups like JeM are not in the list.
Motor racing chief Max Mosley called into question a deal securing Formula One's future on Thursday in a letter demanding a public apology from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.
Formula One teams and the governing body remained locked in combat on Friday after the publication of a controversial 2010 entry list that included all 10 current teams as well as newcomers from America and Spain.
All 10 existing Formula One teams were included on the 2010 entry list on Friday along with two new US-based operations and one from Spain.
Four years after entering Formula E racing, Mahindra comes out with a racing car designed for the e-racing circuit. Rajesh Karkera/Rediff.com reports.
Banned former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore said he had been betrayed by Formula One on Friday and promised to hold a big party when he eventually emerges victorious.
Ferrari hit back on Wednesday after a French court rejected their bid to prevent Formula One's governing body introducing controversial new rules next season. The sport's most successful and glamorous team warned in a statement at the Monaco Grand Prix they could still pursue legal action and would carry out a threat to quit if the regulations were not rewritten.
A French court has thrown out a bid by Ferrari to prevent Formula One's governing body from introducing controversial new rules next season.
An injunction sought by Ferrari to prevent Formula One's governing body from introducing a budget cap next season will be decided on Wednesday, a French court said. Champions Ferrari went to the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris to try and stop the International Automobile Federation (FIA) from pressing ahead with the optional 40 million pound cap.
Renault were handed a two-year suspended ban from Formula One until the end of the 2011 season at an FIA World Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris. Briatore was banned from any further involvement in the sport while Symonds got a five-year ban. Spanish double world champion Alonso was exonerated of any involvement. Piquet Jr had been granted immunity before the hearing.
McLaren handed a suspended three race ban for lying to race stewards at the season-opening 2009 Australian Grand Prix. The team were told the ban would be enforced if further facts emerged or there was another breach in the next year.
Renault will not contest race-fixing charges levelled against their Formula One team, the team said in a statement on Wednesday. Team boss Flavio Briatore and director of engineering Pat Symonds have left the team, it added.
Brazilian driver Nelson Piquet has been offered immunity from prosecution if he tells the truth about his former Renault Formula One team, FIA president Max Mosley said on Friday. The offer is similar to one made to McLaren drivers in 2007 when that team was being investigated over Ferrari documents found in their possession.
International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley will decide in June whether to stand for re-election, he said on Tuesday.
Lewis Hamilton's Formula One title defence remained alive on Wednesday after his McLaren team was handed a suspended three-race ban for lying to race stewards. The governing International Automobile Federation said after a hearing in Paris that the contrite way in which McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh had apologised for the team's behaviour was taken into account.
McLaren have written to Formula One's governing body to apologise for misleading stewards and accepting wrongdoing ahead of a hearing next week that could suspend the team from the championship. A source, who declined to be identified, said earlier that Whitmarsh had written to Mosley, the FIA and race officials to offer "an unreserved apology" for lying to stewards at last month's season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
Force India will introduce a significant aerodynamic upgrade, including an interim diffuser, in Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, its chairman Vijay Mallya said. After the double-decker diffuser of Brawn, Williams and Toyota were cleared by FIA, Formula One outfits are in a hurry to ape them and Mallya said Force India too would have an interim diffuser in Bahrain.
Formula One approved a new scoring system on Friday with points extended to the top 10 drivers in a record-equalling 19-race 2010 season that will start and finish in the Middle East.
McLaren played down a report on Sunday that their world champion Lewis Hamilton had threatened to quit Formula One in disgust over a lying controversy.
Formula One's governing body has confirmed that the 2009 drivers' championship will be decided by the same points system as last year rather than awarding it to the winner of most races. The race winner will get 10 points with the rest allocated in a sequence of 8-6-5-4-3-2-1.
Former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore asked a French court to overturn his life ban from Formula One on Tuesday, saying he had been denied his right to a free and fair defence.
Up and coming Indian driver Armaan Ebrahim, secured another top 10 finish in the final race of the year to end the Formula 2 Championships season on a high.
The Formula One season starts in Australia on March 17 with new regulations, changed lineups, a trio of young rookies fresh from Formula Two and the comeback of Poland's Robert Kubica.
It had been an extraordinary tale of misfortune, podium, pole and bloopers for Force India and the born-again outfit now wants to sign off with some more points in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.