The US State Department on Friday released a part of emails by former secretary of state Hillary Clinton related to a 2012 terrorist attack on the US consulate in Libya's Benghazi.
The United States termed as "false" reports that it had ignored advance intelligence about possible attacks on its diplomatic mission in Benghazi which left American ambassador to Libya dead.
The attack in Libya on September 11 this year by a heavily armed group took the US administration by surprise and claimed the lives of four Americans, including the US Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens.
The United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday vowed that the United States would not rest until it probes the attack on its consulate in Benghazi and tracks down those who killed "our people", but cautioned against jumping to any conclusion.
Al Qaeda's first comment on the commando-style attack on the United states consulate in Benghazi in Libya has not come from its command and control in North Waziristan in Pakistan headed by its Amir Ayman al-Zawahiri, but from its Yemen branch called Ai Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, also referred to as Ansar al-Sharia (Supporters of Sharia).
An emotional Hillary Clinton took personal responsibility for the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi that killed her Ambassador to Libya, as she answered questions from lawmakers during her much-awaited Congressional testimony over the September 11 incident.
Hillary is accused of having made "false and defamatory statements negligently, recklessly and purposefully and/or intentionally with malice" in her public comments, including those about the connection between the attack and an anti-Muslim YouTube video.
United States Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice conceded before Republican senators that the initial assessment she gave of the attack on American consulate facilities in Benghazi was "incorrect" but said she had never intended to mislead the nation.
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney has accused the Obama administration of contradicting itself and "doubling down on denial" about the true origins of the assault on the US Consulate in Benghazi that killed American envoy to Libya.
United States Defence Secretary Leon Panetta on Sunday defended the administration's response to last year's terrorist attack on the US consulate in Benghazi that claimed the life of the US ambassador to Libya.
The US has formed a panel to investigate the attack on the United States consulate in Benghazi that killed Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other American officials.
Gearing up for a possible 2016 presidential run, former United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said the "biggest regret" of her tenure was the 2012 attack on a US consulate in Libya that killed four Americans, including its ambassador.
The United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will testify before key Congressional committees on January 22, on the deadly militant attack on a US Consulate in Benghazi, in which the US Ambassador to Libya and three other American were killed.
A top United States intelligence official on Thursday said the attack on its consulate in Benghazi, in which US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed, was an act of terror.
US District Court Judge Amit P Mehta was told by government lawyers that a few of 30 newly recovered emails were not included in the 55,000 pages previously provided by Clinton to the State Department.
The White House has ruled out sending Ahmed Abu Khatallah, a key suspect in the attacks at the United States consulate in Benghazi in September 2012, to the Guantanamo Bay terrorist detention center and asserted that he would be tried through the federal court system.
Anti-Gaddafi caricatures and graffiti have sprung up across cities such as Benghazi, most of them portraying him in an unflattering light. Let's take a look at some of them.
The United States is probing whether the deadly attack on its mission in Libya was a well-planned assault by Islamists rather than a rampage by a frenzied mob, officials said on Thursday, as fresh riots broke out in Egypt and Yemen over a controversial film deemed offensive to Islam.
We take a look at the most amazing pictures from across the globe in the last 48 hours.
MUST SEE: The last 48 hours in pictures
Rediff.com brings to you a collection of the most dramatic photographs from around the world in the last 24 hours
The United States defence and intelligence agencies are preparing the groundwork for operations to kill or capture terrorists responsible for the attack on its mission in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi resulting in death of four Americans including its Ambassador.
Amid growing anti-United States protests, the Al Qaeda has called for fresh attacks on American missions and personnel in the Arab world and the West, as Washington faced resistance from Gulf nations in sending marines to reinforce security of its embassies there and ordered non-essential staff in Sudan and Tunisia to leave.
The United States consulate in Chennai was attacked on Friday evening by an angry mob to protest against a controversial anti-Islam video.
The Republican leadership has intensified its attack on the Barck Obama administration's handling of the current volatile situation in the Middle East, with one of its top leaders arguing that the attack on the United States Consulate in Benghazi was "an act of war" and not "senseless violence."
The Intelligence Bureau issues alert over the video that has provoked protests in the Arab world
We bring you a presentation of some of the best photos from around the world in the last week.
In an op-ed in Daily Beast, former CIA officer Bruce Riedel issued a strong warning to the two candidates that Pakistan is more important foreign policy issue than Libya, the Middle East or the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi.
Freedom of expression cannot be constrained when it comes to books and encouraged when it comes to violence, says Mitali Saran
The events in the coming days and weeks may take a course similar to what happened in the Islamic world after the publication of caricatures in a Danish newspaper in September 2005, notes B Raman.
None of the US Navy's warships deployed in the Mediterranean have been assigned any specific mission to Libya in the aftermath of the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi that killed US Ambassador Chris Stevens, the Pentagon has said.
A day after the attack on the United States consulate in Benghazi, video-sharing website YouTube on Thursday said it has restricted access to the film both in Libya and Egypt.
Anti-US protests against an American-produced film which allegedly insults Prophet Mohammed, took a violent turn in the Middle East as the US embassy in Cairo was attacked and its consulate at Benghazi in Libya was set on fire, killing one American consular official.
Senior Obama Administration officials said the 50-member Marine unit was being flown from their base in Europe. This is in addition to two US warships USS Laboon and USS McFaul which are now being moved to the coast of Libya.
United States officials have held rare face-to-face talks with representatives of Muammar Gaddafi's government and asked the Libyan leader to step down.
Presenting some of the best PHOTOGRAPHS from around the globe in the last 24 hours.
As United States and NATO military commanders mulled over complexities of enforcing a 'no-fly zone' over Libya, the strife-torn nation's newly emerged opposition leaders are approaching the United Nations to ask for foreign air strikes to pulverise Mummar Gaddafi's capabilities to hit civilian targets.
A disturbing new evidence of the barbarity of Libyan despot Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's regime in East Libya has emerged. Seven prisoners were rescued by the opposition movement after they were found buried alive.
"All Indians, numbering around 18,000, are safe in Libya. We are following the situation closely. Presently, disturbances have mainly been reported in north-eastern region of Benghazi, Derna, Baida and Turbuk," an External Affairs Ministry spokesperson said.
After six months of struggle, the battle to oust Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi from his throne is nearing its end.