News for '-ujjwal-nikam'

'Kasab, Ismail planned to target Raj Bhavan'

'Kasab, Ismail planned to target Raj Bhavan'

Rediff.com20 Apr 2009

The lone surviving gunman Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab and slain Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Ismail Khan had planned to strike Raj Bhavan but could not succeed as they were overpowered by the police at Chowpatty enroute to Malabar Hill, the prosecution said on Monday.

Bombay HC to decide on Kasab's death rap soon

Bombay HC to decide on Kasab's death rap soon

Rediff.com20 Sep 2010

Making it clear that it could not wait further for 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab to file an appeal against the trial court's order sentencing him to death for his role in the 26/11 terror attack, the Bombay high court on Monday said it would proceed with the confirmation of the death sentence from October 11 or October 18. Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said the Pakistani terrorist had a threat perception and bringing him to court would be a great risk.

Kasab's drama in court was pre-planned: Nikam

Kasab's drama in court was pre-planned: Nikam

Rediff.com18 Dec 2009

The retraction of confession by Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist arrested during the terror strike in Mumbai last year, will not have any effect on the ongoing trial in the case, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told mediapersons on Friday.Nikam made the comments in the wake of Kasab -- who deposed for the first time today -- claiming that he was arrested by the Mumbai police days before the 26/11 terror strike and his confessions had been taken by force.

26/11 trial: Prosecution to wind up case tomorrow?

26/11 trial: Prosecution to wind up case tomorrow?

Rediff.com15 Dec 2009

The prosecution is all set to close examination of terror evidences in the 26/11 special trial court in Mumbai on Wednesday, a year after the dastardly strikes that left 166 dead and 304 wounded.

26/11 attack: Taj suffers losses of over Rs 114 cr

26/11 attack: Taj suffers losses of over Rs 114 cr

Rediff.com11 Dec 2009

Iconic Taj Mahal hotel suffered losses of more than Rs 114 crore because of destruction of property in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, a top official of the hotel told the trial court said.

Court questions police on leak of Kasab's video

Court questions police on leak of Kasab's video

Rediff.com8 Dec 2009

The special court hearing 26/11 terror attacks case on Tuesday asked the police department to file an affidavit explaining how footages of a compact disc filmed on the interrogation of accused Ajmal Kasab was leaked to the media.

26/11 chargesheet names Kasab, Lakhvi, 36 others

26/11 chargesheet names Kasab, Lakhvi, 36 others

Rediff.com25 Feb 2009

The 10,000-page chargesheet provides convicting evidence of the involvement of elements from Pakistan in the Mumbai terror attacks

Kasab's lawyer tenders unconditional apology

Kasab's lawyer tenders unconditional apology

Rediff.com27 Nov 2009

Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab's lawyer Abbas Kazmi tendered an unconditional apology, on Friday, to the trial court hearing the Mumbai attack case for his remark that he did not care about affidavits of witnesses filed by the prosecution.

I will prove how big a liar Kasab is: Nikam

I will prove how big a liar Kasab is: Nikam

Rediff.com25 Nov 2009

The 26/11 terror trial is not only against Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab, who was caught alive, but also against the terror organisation Lashkar-e-Tayiba, which masterminded the Mumbai attacks, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said here on Wednesday.

We have enough evidence against Kasab: Nikam

We have enough evidence against Kasab: Nikam

Rediff.com15 Feb 2009

Investigating agencies have gathered enough evidence to show that Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist caught alive in the Mumbai terror attack, was part of a criminal conspiracy hatched in Pakistan, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam has said. Nikam, appointed a special public prosecutor to handle the 26/11 case, said the chargesheet would be filed in a special court in the next couple of days.

My food is laced with sedatives, alleges Kasab

My food is laced with sedatives, alleges Kasab

Rediff.com18 Nov 2009

Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab has complained to the 26/11 terror trial court that food given to him in jail is laced with tranquilisers but medical experts have said there is no truth in his allegations, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said in Mumbai on Wednesday.

26/11 witness not traceable, Nikam tells court

26/11 witness not traceable, Nikam tells court

Rediff.com10 Nov 2009

A 26/11 prosecution witness is not traceable for last three months and all efforts to find him have gone in vain, a special court trying Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab and two others was informed on Tuesday.

Pak court ruling on Kasab vindicates India's stand

Pak court ruling on Kasab vindicates India's stand

Rediff.com2 Nov 2009

A Pakistan court declaring Ajmal Kasab an absconder and issuing a non-bailable warrant against him have proved beyond doubt that the gunman is a Pakistani and had taken part in 26/11 Mumbai attacks, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said Monday.

India to send more 26/11 evidence to Pakistan

India to send more 26/11 evidence to Pakistan

Rediff.com18 Oct 2009

Statements of key witnesses in the 26/11 case in an anti-terror court in Mumbai will be forwarded by India to Pakistan to be used as evidence in the trial there, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said in Mumbai on Sunday.

Pak must conduct open trial of 26/11 case: Nikam

Pak must conduct open trial of 26/11 case: Nikam

Rediff.com2 Oct 2009

Special public prosecutor in the 26/11-terror attacks case, Ujjwal Nikam, on Friday demanded that the Pakistani court should conduct an open trial in the case, slated to begin there on Saturday.

'I fought with terrorists at Nariman house'

'I fought with terrorists at Nariman house'

Rediff.com16 Sep 2009

"They fired at me, but I ducked and escaped the bullets," Kamal Singh, who had entered Nariman House with a stick to confront the militants, told prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam. Singh is the only civilian who had challenged the ultras at Nariman House, Nikam told PTI.

US has filed a case regarding 26/11 attacks: FBI

US has filed a case regarding 26/11 attacks: FBI

Rediff.com20 Aug 2009

A case pertaining to 26/11 terror attacks has been registered in USA in which some Pakistani nationals have been interrogated, a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent said in his testimony before a special court in Mumbai on day, but refused to disclose the names of people quizzed during the probe.

Nikam seeks compensation from Kasab, LeT

Nikam seeks compensation from Kasab, LeT

Rediff.com6 May 2010

The prosecution in the 26/11 terror attacks case on Thursday sought imposition of a compensation on Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab for causing huge damage to property to the tune of Rs 155.73 crore during the attacks. But the court refused to consider the plea raising a query as to who would pay it.

Not once did Kasab show any remorse: Nikam

Not once did Kasab show any remorse: Nikam

Rediff.com1 May 2010

Nikam, who has an enviable track record of securing death penalty for 37 accused and life term to 627 in his career spanning over three decades, is confident that Kasab, the lone 26/11 gunman captured, will be punished despite his repeated attempts to "misguide" the court.

Indian taught Hindi at LeT camps: Kasab

Indian taught Hindi at LeT camps: Kasab

Rediff.com20 Jul 2009

Lone surviving gunman of the Mumbai attacks Ajmal Kasab on Sunday claimed that an Indian was also involved in the terror conspiracy, but special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam dismissed it saying there was "some design" behind the statement.

Mahajan case: Defence lawyer withdraws

Mahajan case: Defence lawyer withdraws

Rediff.com11 Oct 2007

A heated argument between Ponda and special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam over scheduling of arguments of the witnesses forced Ponda to withdraw from the high-profile case

'Headley's plea bargain won't affect 26/11 trial'

'Headley's plea bargain won't affect 26/11 trial'

Rediff.com18 Mar 2010

Nikam said it was not yet clear whether Headley would plead guilty to all the charges or only to some of the charges but this, in any case, would not affect the 26/11 case in the Mumbai court as the trial has already reached its fag end.

Kasab's brother involved in Lahore attack?

Kasab's brother involved in Lahore attack?

Rediff.com30 May 2009

"Yeh tumhara bhai hai kya (is he your brother?)," Nikam asked Kasab who was handed over a newspaper which carried the photograph of a suspect arrested in connection with Lahore attack on May 27, which left nearly 30 persons dead.

26/11 trial: Two doctors identify Kasab

26/11 trial: Two doctors identify Kasab

Rediff.com15 May 2009

Two doctors, who treated Mumbai terror attack's prime accused Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab for injuries sustained in the police firing, on Friday identified him in the trial court."He is the one who was brought to the trauma ward of Nair hospital when I was on duty in the early hours on November 27," doctor Yogita Delkar, chief medical officer of Nair hospital said, pointing at Kasab.

Mumbai police to seek info about Headley from US

Mumbai police to seek info about Headley from US

Rediff.com16 Dec 2009

In a fresh turn in the Mumbai terror attack case, the city police will approach the trial court seeking a letter rogatory to obtain evidence from a US court about alleged involvement of David Headley and Tahawwur Rana in the 26/11 attacks.

'Unwell' Kasab asked to leave court during trial

'Unwell' Kasab asked to leave court during trial

Rediff.com9 Dec 2009

Pakistani gunman and prime accused in the 26/11 terror attack case, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, is not keeping well since the last few days and was on Wednesday sent back to his cell by the court in the midst of the proceedings

Sanjay Dutt unlikely to be sentenced tomorrow

Sanjay Dutt unlikely to be sentenced tomorrow

Rediff.com24 May 2007

Dutt, convicted for illegal possession of an assault rifle and pistol, has applied under the Probation of Offenders Act seeking exemption from a prison term.

26/11 case to conclude on first anniversary

26/11 case to conclude on first anniversary

Rediff.com24 Nov 2009

The prosecution is all set to wind up the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case in a special court on November 26, coinciding with the first anniversary of the dastardly strikes that left 166 dead.

ML Tahiliyani is trial judge in Mumbai case

ML Tahiliyani is trial judge in Mumbai case

Rediff.com13 Jan 2009

M L Tahiliyani has been appointed as a Special Judge to conduct the trial in the November 26 terror attacks in the city, Police Commissioner Hasan Gafoor said omn Monday.

'93 blasts: Verdict on 31 accused from Thursday

'93 blasts: Verdict on 31 accused from Thursday

Rediff.com13 Sep 2006

designated Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act court on Wednesday announced that it would start pronouncing verdict beginning Thursday on all 31 accused charged with planting bombs to effect the 1993 serial blasts.

Kasab's trial put off, work on court yet to end

Kasab's trial put off, work on court yet to end

Rediff.com5 Apr 2009

The trial of lone surviving gunman in the Mumbai terror attack case, Mohammed Amir Ajmal Kasab, scheduled to begin in the premises of Arthur Road central jail on Monday, has been put off by a week as the construction of the special court is not yet over.

The man who will prosecute Kasab

The man who will prosecute Kasab

Rediff.com6 Feb 2009

Ujjwal Nikam, special public prosecutor in the Mumbai terror attacks, says the prosecution will have a good case.

'93 blasts: TADA court summons all convicts

'93 blasts: TADA court summons all convicts

Rediff.com14 Mar 2007

Judge P D Kode also heard the last of the applications filed by the convicts seeking review of their conviction order, and Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam's reply.

TADA court permits scientific tests on Salem

TADA court permits scientific tests on Salem

Rediff.com23 Dec 2005

The prosecutor placed on record Salem's consent to undergo the tests.

'93 blasts verdict on Aug 10

'93 blasts verdict on Aug 10

Rediff.com27 Jul 2006

A designated TADA court, hearing the 1993 bomb blast case, announced on Thursday that it would deliver verdict on August 10.

1993 Mumbai blasts: Sentencing of accused to begin

1993 Mumbai blasts: Sentencing of accused to begin

Rediff.com18 May 2007

Special TADA judge Pramod Kode has given no hint as to how he would go about pronouncing sentences of 100 convicts.

NBW against Annes Ibrahim

NBW against Annes Ibrahim

Rediff.com31 Mar 2006

A special court Friday issued a non-bailable warrant against Anees Ibrahim, younger brother of fugitive don Dawood Ibrahim, for his alleged complicity in the builder Pradeep Jain murder case.

'You are welcome at my house,' Pramod to Pravin

'You are welcome at my house,' Pramod to Pravin

Rediff.com26 Mar 2007

The letter was seized by the police from Pravin's house after he was arrested for shooting Pramod on April 22 2006, leading to the BJP leader's death 12 days later.

Abu Salem alleges torture by ATS

Abu Salem alleges torture by ATS

Rediff.com13 Jan 2006

He alleged that the ATS officials used a leather belt to torture him.

Mumbai blasts accused held under POTA

Mumbai blasts accused held under POTA

Rediff.com13 Oct 2003

Sayed Mohammed Hanif (40), his wife Fahimida (37) and associate Arshat Shafi Ahmed Ansari (26) were already in judicial custody for the Ghatkopar.