Rediff.com  » Sports » Sports Shorts: Paralympic Committee of India derecognised by Sports Ministry

Sports Shorts: Paralympic Committee of India derecognised by Sports Ministry

September 10, 2019 16:35 IST

The Sports Ministry has de-recognised the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI), citing violation of the National Sports Code in the body's decision to sack President Rao Inderjit Singh.

In the suspension order issued on Monday, the Ministry wrote that the PCI has been penalised for misgovernance.

PCI logo. Photograph: PCI/Twitter

The Ministry had received a complaint from Singh, who was removed by a majority vote, and it found the federation's response to it unsatisfactory. The PCI had changed its byelaws to bar public servants from it during a May 4 Annual General Meeting. Singh is Minister of State (Planning) in the union government.

"Explanation had been sought from PCI vice Ministry's notices dated 11-7-2019 and 29-8-2019 on the complaint. The explanation furnished by PCI was found unsatisfactory," said the Ministry in the letter.

Also, the PCI's AGM in May and the SGM, on January 25 and February 25, were deemed invalid, contributing to the suspension.

"Bye-laws of PCI have been amended without bringing the same to the consideration of District Registrar of Societies, in violation of the Karnataka Societies Registration Act 1960 and Rules 1961," said the Ministry.

"In view of foregoing, the Government is of the view that PCI has failed to follow the good governance practices as it has also violated the National Sports of Code India, 2011 and its own constitution in removing its elected president.

"The Governement hereby suspends the recognition of PCI with immediate effect till further orders. PCI is directed to comply with the Sports Code and ensure good governance practices in its internal functioning," it added.

The PCI had also been suspended in 2015 over governance issues and re-recognised in 2016.

Lewis to step down as chief executive of All England Club in 2020

Former British Davis Cup player Richard Lewis said on Tuesday he will step down as chief executive of the All England Club at Wimbledon after next year's Championships.

"It has been an immense privilege to be chief executive of the club and to play a part in the continued evolution of the club and The Championships," Lewis, 64, said in a statement on Wimbledon's website.

Lewis said some of the milestones of his tenure included a 160% increase in prize money, the acquisition of the Wimbledon Park Golf Club and development of club facilities.

"Given the election of a new chairman in Ian Hewitt, and the development of the next master plan for the full breadth of the grounds, it's the perfect time for me to step down," he said.

Lewis joined the All England Club as chief executive in 2012, having been executive chairman of the Rugby Football League since 2002 and chair of Sport England since 2009.

He reached a career-high world ranking of 68 and played for Britain in the Davis Cup from 1977 to 1983 before getting involved in coaching, sports administration and business consultancy.

AGENCIES
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT